cleaning iac

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by mcdonald58, Jun 18, 2012.

1. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i had a check engine light it keeps turning on and off. i determined it was on o2 sensor. my idle is terrible the whole truck shakes. it goes all the way to the steering wheel that shakes if i dont have my hands on it. i also have terrible mpg so hopefully this will help some.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

it can be a few things. what did your engine light read? you can be running codes with no light also.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yup i went down to advance auto parts and got the code read. it was p1131 which i looked up to be Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1. i plan on taking the truck to get fixed this weekend.

5. cvar

cvar New Member

FWIW, mine ran like that for a while (esp. winter) and it often stalled. But my codes were 0171 and 0174 (ie, both banks too lean). Cleaning MAF, etc. (with TV tuner cleaner) did nothing. Neither did replacing IAC, EGR. Turned out I had a leaky intake manifold gasket.

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

wow does this suck. the stupid bolts wont thread back into the bottom two holes and i have no way to get the bolt into the hole thats in a really tight spot. this has turned into a much longer project than it was supposed to be.

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You need to move closer to me lol

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea that would be awesome. while trying to get the bolt back in it started downpouring so i had to stop. this will be finished tomorrow no matter what.

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got the bolt back in. and its working now i just need to find that other bolt that fell. i notice an improvement and it really needed it.