cherokee vs ranger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

4.0 or nothing. and if u get a f150 lol ur on ur own at the dunes lol na just messing but u will be embarassed when i pull u out in a heavy fullsize cuz it did float over the sand and it sank

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

haha i cant wait to hit the dunes. from an off road view which do you think is better cherokee or ranger? i would lift a ranger with a body lift and get some bigger tires. and i would lift a cherokee 2-3 inches with a shackle and coil spacer kit.

4. Demon

last i went the other weekend i went with 3 cherokee's sadly i had to pull one up a hill yes i hooked to it and pulled it up hill and it was a v8 he almost went into a hole that was 7 feet deep with a tree in the middle of the hole. the ranger isnt unibody. i see alot of body wrap and flex from those jeeps out there cuz it isnt full framed. a ranger 4.0 to me is a lot better than a jeep 4.0. yes it is a i6 engine but out on the dunes the ranger just floats everywhere and climbs everything as long as u have a l/s and the right gears and tires. i have just a body lift and i just keep going and going everywhere. as well as a ranger u have the bed which mean if ur going back and forth from state to state and u just add a topper u have so much space for big items. yes a fullsize is bigger but to get better mpg u are gonna need a newer fullsize. sick with what u know rangers. great mpg if the gears and tires are right and easy to fix when u have all of us helping u and finding parts u might need. get a full size and that goes out the window to some degree. jeeps are nice yes but i would get like a tj instead of a cherokee. the unibody for me just is not the right thing for what u want to do. if built up right and reinforced it would be great but than u are looking at a lot of money and ur going to be in college and last i checked college kids aint got much money unless they get it from their parents. also well going back and forth in a ranger u can fit a twin bed matress in ur truck bed under the topper. u can also heat it in there and have a locking topper and stuff. last i checked sleeping in a jeep wasnt that comfy i have been there before lol back in high school lmao

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thats a good point about the topper. if i got one i would put an expo rack on it and lights. i like having an open bed though. its useful for when i load up my kayaks. i would have to get a ext cab and make a storage box for my tools if i got another ranger. than i would probably get a roll bar in the bed. i would love to get a wrangler but they are to expensive for me right now.

6. Demon

with a topper u can load them on the top of the rack easy. just as if it was on a cherokee. dont do roll bar do a headache rack easy simple and looks alot better

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thats true but with my back injury i cant lift the kayak up that high by myself. i forgot about a headache rack i would probably get a back rack and put some lights up there. it wouldnt take up bed space and protect my back window from a kayak going through my window.

8. Demon

yes but with a fullsize the kayak would still not fit and a jeep is the same as a ranger with a topper

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea thats true if i get a ranger ill get a back rack. ill probably get another ranger unless i find a really nice cherokee for cheap. with the ranger itll have to have 4.0, ext cab, and 4wd. ill probably look for 98-00 and do the 01-03 front end swap since i think a 01-03 will be out of my price range.

10. Demon

u can also do a 01 to 03 swap on a 97 too

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea then ill have to get a hood and fenders also. i would rather a 98 since they changed a bunch of stuff like the wiring, front end, and other things so i think it would be easier to add stuff to my truck if i had a 98+.

12. Demon

true but a 97 has more options to built it for offroad lol

13. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

true since it has the coil spring suspension. i dont want to make it to off road though. ill probably just put a body lift on it and get some decent size tires. i dont want to completely kill my mpg.

14. Demon

haha fair enough

15. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea i think the biggest ill go is 30 which i might just get a 1.5 in lift and not do do a 3 in body lift.

16. Demon

if u ever want to do silver lake u need a 31 or 32 bud lol

17. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

damn looks like ill get 31s then haha. ill probably replace the shocks since they are easy to do. hopefully i get the new truck within this school year so i can do all the work i want on the school lift.

18. Demon

just sayin lol

19. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Why lift if your only gonna do 31's.....

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

because i want a lift. just because i lift my truck dosent mean i need to max out the tire size.

21. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

It would look retarded and provide absolutely nothing..... But whatever floats your boat.....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012