check engine light

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Jun 9, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

hey guys i got a mystery for you all of you. on my way home from work today my check engine light came on. i drove for about two miles it was running fine. then i pulled into a gas station to call my dad to see if he wanted me to drop it off at our mechanics. after this my accelerator started acting weird. it would constantly accelerate even though i was putting my foot down on my pedal. i started coasting up a hill and it remained at 20 mph. somethings up. i had athe throttle cable mod done to it i took that off. i also have the coil pack mod. could this be causing it? were going to take it and get the codes read tomorrow by advance auto. just trying to get an idea on how bad the news is going to be. thanks for any help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DPG3

DPG3 Member

manual? and check the code, it might help you out a little.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

automatic. hopefully i can get the time to get the codes checked tomorrow.

5. DPG3

DPG3 Member

in my manual, if i put in gear with the clutch depressed and took my foot off the brake it would move. replaced the clutch and it doesn't do that. could be a clutch, or your tranny is engaging my itself. maybe clean the cables and MAF. might be a sticky line.

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well the check engine light turned off as i was pulling into the parking lot of advanced. it did the same thing back in October except without the accelerating thing. im thinking it might be a 02 sensor. next time it comes on im going right to advanced so i can figure out whats wrong.

7. DPG3

DPG3 Member

you dont have a code reader?

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

no i dont. im thinking of getting an ultragauge so ill always have one plugged into the truck. but im not going to if i cant get mpgs with my truck.

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well my check engine light came on today so i drove to autozone and got the code. its P1131. the scanner didnt tell me what it was it said contact manufacturer. anyone know what this code is?

10. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well i reasearched the code and came up with this: Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1. so i think my next step is to replace my 02 sensor. ive got some questions about it though. is there only one for my 97? if there is more than one which one would put this code out? also how hard are these to do? also how could this be affecting my mpg? i found one at advance for 45 bucks.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well the cel just turned off. im still going to take it to my mechanic and get the o2 sensor replaced because im tired of having my cel come on all the time and i think it might be affecting my mpg.

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah sounds like a bad 02 sensor for sure dude. My hyundai did the same thing light on then off, loss of power on acceleration. I am sure that is your issue right there