Check engine light came on, reads P0422

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by swilliscool, Oct 31, 2011.

1. swilliscool

swilliscool New Member

2003 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0, 129,000 miles, Check engine light came on, reads as P0422. Any suggestions as to what this means and how to correct the issue, thanks in advance? Also when having just filled gas tank, there is a lingering gas smell but no visible leak as in a cracked hose fill connector.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Try getting the truck to a repair shop and have that code read. I am not familiar with what code means what. Hopefully someone on here is familiar with it. As far as the gas smell, if you are really topping off the filler neck, that may be the issue. If not crawl under the truck and check for any leaks

4. OP
    swilliscool

swilliscool New Member

Thanks Hooligan,
    Re: gas smell. First time I filled the truck, at the end of the fill, about a cup of gas leaked out at the fuel station. After reading threads on cracked fuel filler connectors, I crawled under the truck and felt the connector for cracks, there were none but I did find that the hose clamps on the connector were a little loose. I tightened them up and no leaking of gas on to the pavement when filling the tank to auto shut off, just a new and lingering gas smell each time. Looks like another tour under the truck.

5. The filler neck went on my kota about a year and a half to two years agoish. lol You may have to replace that because it could have rotted out around the top, behind the bed.