Change ratio's..?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by sdowiat, Jan 3, 2010.

1. sdowiat

sdowiat New Member

Just wondering... wish I got better MPG. Mine is a '99 Mazda 4 x 4. Can the rear end ratio be changed?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Teamexploder

Teamexploder Explorer Member

The gear ratio can be changed, there is quite a selection of different gears for these trucks and if you change the rear you need to change the front also. What gearing are you running now and what size tire?

4. Jelly's Ford

Jelly's Ford Riding High in the Saddle

Since He's got 99 4X4 prob with a 4.0 or 3.0 he probably has 3.73 gears. Here is the only problem with changing the gear ratio, a loss of power. If you never pull anything or go fourwheeling a lot and you just want mpgs for the highway, changing the ratio would be good for you.

5. Teamexploder

His MPG increase on changing gears all depends on what speed he averagely drives and what size tires he has.

6. OP
    sdowiat

sdowiat New Member

My ratio and tire size..

I've got the 3.0 and the 4.1 ratio... so it's the lowest you can get, right? My tires size is what came from the factory... not sure the exact size. I have determined that the MPG is better than I thought... I can get 24, but that is by going pretty easy on it, but I do need to run the mid grade gas to clear up the pinging. I hear that that pinging on the cheap grade is normal.. and not really good for the engine.

7. Teamexploder

That is the highest gear factory, you could go low so your RPM's run lower on the highway but will take a little more power to get going, you could go to 3.73's or 3.55's to get better mileage but like I said will take a little more to take off from a start.