Budstark

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by budstark, Jan 24, 2014.

1. budstark

budstark New Member

1986 Ranger 2.3 sometimes starts, other times won't, now won't start at all. It has fire.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Im guessing by fire you mean spark?

Ok does it have fuel? Being an 86 im thinking its carb. So can you watch fuel go through the carb?

4. OP
    budstark

budstark New Member

1986 2.3 fuel injection Ford Ranger

It is fuel injected. How can I check pressure in the fuel line just before the injector apparatus?

5. kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

There should be a schrader valve (looks like a tire valve stem) on the fuel rail somewhere. Thats where you check pressure at

6. OP
    budstark

budstark New Member

thanks

Thanks for your help. I'll look for the schrader valve, which will also mean that I become more familiar with the fuel rout etc. Again, thanks millions.

7. kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

No problem. I forgot to mention 35-45 psi is what you are looking for

8. OP
    budstark

budstark New Member

Thanks a bundle. If the pressure is under these figures I am guessing that the best procedure would be to replace vacuum hose to regulator, the regulator and possibly the high pressure pump. If I found the schrader valve, which it seems Ford was trying to hide, I think I can find the regulator.
    Also, a word of caution. My two former auto advisors were my brother and, following him, my brother-in-law, both of whom have passed on. But, if you reach their age, which I pray you do, you will be an old man like me.
    Again, thanks a million, you do a great service. This old truch has taken me and my family across the country many times.

9. kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Just here to help!

I will try to drum up a picture and see if I can point out where the valve/regulator are

10. OP
    budstark

budstark New Member

Picture

I know where it is now, I just didn't know what it was until I looked it up on the Autozone store line. Thanks

11. OP
    budstark

budstark New Member

runs good this morning

I just went out and the Ranger started right up repeatedly and runs good. Do you have any idea why it starts sometimes and other times does not? What would you first suspect? Any ideas are welcome.

12. kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Wiring issue at the fuel pump. Loose connection somewhere

13. Mitchman

Mitchman Member

that could be it. mine does something similar. it sounds like its out of fuel when i crank it at first and it doesn't start. most mornings it starts with no issue. at least once a month, it wont start right away, this morning mine wouldn't start at all. it cant be out of gas cause i filled it yesterday. if it is somebody has my gas somewhere. if its a wiring issue with the fuel pump, then it could be a number of wiring issues. in my case i think its that the original 1988 fuse is possibly starting to crap out. all my fuses look original except the blinkers. i had to replace those cause they gave out and i had to blink them manually all the way to napa lol.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014