Axle help

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by mbaseel, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mbaseel

mbaseel New Member

I was recently out on a trail trip and on the way back on the paved road doing 50mph my rear end locked up and sent me into a uncontrolled slide. Luckily I was able to not hit anything but the 7.5 rear end is toast. I have a chance at an 8.8 and was wondering if it was a direct bolt in or if I would have to do some modifications. the vehicle is a 94 ranger 4x4 v6 3.0L. I would like to upgrade to an 8.8 beings it is stronger and when I decide to do 35's and my locker it would be a little safer than the 7.5
    thanks for the help guys.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

It should be a direct bolt in. Make sure your gears match up. What front axle are you running? If its a dana 28, you will grenade that thing in NO time with 35s. 33s snap dana 28 shafts with mild wheeling

4. OP
    mbaseel

mbaseel New Member

So it ended up being carrier grenade on the 7.5. I took off the cover and have 1 spyder that is broke in half 6 teeth on my ring gear missing and almost all of the teeth on my pinion are screwed. So 8.8 here I come... I will have to check on the front axle... The tuck is at a buddies house 20 miles away.:(

5. OP
    mbaseel

mbaseel New Member

So I looked at the front axle and took the cover off. it is a true dana 35

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good luck with the swap. Let us know how you make out

7. OP
    mbaseel

mbaseel New Member

ended up finding an 8.8 with 3.73's in it already from a 4l ranger same year as mine. should be a direct swap.:thumbup: