Alternator options

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Redneck_ranger, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Alright, so now that I have all of my lights hooked up and a lot more electrical work is coming, I'm looking to upgrade my alternator eventually. I know an expo one will fit on, but what are my other options? I don't really feel like dropping $400 on a 220A one, but if that's the only thing I can do, then I might just have to eventually. Demon said the FX4 LII comes with a bigger alternator. So would that be an option?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

i said mine does lol and i never changed it. and its the stock one.

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

So most of them should come with it, unless it was an option when they were for sale.... Did you make that call yet?

5. Demon

i did and he forgot lmao

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Fail. Search it online! Haha

7. Demon

i'm not the one who needs a alt. u do

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

lol true. Would one from a SD fit?

9. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Dude You wont need one I got 4 Different things hooked up to my battery and its fine and yes they all are used daily

10. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

you having 4 extra lights on one circuit/ switch isnt going to hurt anything. I think you would have a better chance draining your battery if you farted on it or something

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I have six 55 watt lights on the truck. They drain the battery faster than the alternator can charge it. I'm waiting for Buggman to get in on this. He would know lol I actually saw my battery gauge drop while they were on, if I was not on the gas. When I sit idling, all the lights dim until I hit the throttle

12. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I got my 200a alternator from a alternator company on evilBay a few years ago... altersomethingeruther...

Some explorer alternators will fit but are usually only 130a, most of the rangers have a 90a or 95a maybe a 100a if they're lucky.

I gave less than $250 or so for mine & it's still going strong.

I don't have a ton of stuff going on, but I like to know that I can add whatever I want & not have to worry about it.

So far I have added 2 pair of fog/reverse lights, a 1,500w sub amp, 400w mid/high amp, explorer power seats & tons of led's (to save some power) and I can have everything electrical going at one time and my voltage never drops below 14v. I plan on adding 4 more 55w hella 500ff's sometime in the near future and who knows what else later on.

Just add up all the power you're using... 55w x 6 = 330w / 12.5v = almost 30a just for those lights. If you have a stereo amp or other accessories, you're going to be asking an awful lot from that stock alternator & it WILL burn out. In my younger years, I went through at least one alternator on every vehicle I had because they just couldn't keep up with the electrical demand plus the standard load the vehicles used. First the batteries will die in 2 years or less, the voltage regulators in the alternator will fry or one of the windings will short out & leave you high & dry.
    There's nothing worse than having a dead vehicle in the depths of winter with 12" of snow except having a dead vehicle in the middle of summer in the middle of a 120* parking lot.

If/when you have to replace or upgrade the alternator, make SURE to upgrade all the wiring to the alternator as well as all the grounds. It won't do you any good to have a 500a alternator if you only have the stock 6ga wire.

4ga is the minimum I'd use, but I jumped up a few steps with mine & I have 1/0ga for everything, including multiple grounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

And here I thought you were the quiet type of guy, not having subs and amps in your truck lol Would the 125A Expo alternator need to be rewired? Or could I get away with it for a while?