Advice for a Ranger newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mick T, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mick T

Mick T New Member

As anyone who's read my introduction thread will know, I haven't got a Ranger as yet. I'm just starting to save for one which, realistically, will probably take more than a year, so I'm trying to gain a little knowledge in the meantime.

Now, from some of the replies I had on my introduction, it looks like US and UK spec Rangers aren't the same, but, does anyone know the following about the 2.5 litre diesel 4WD:

What kind of fuel consumption could I expect to get?

What kind of things commonly go wrong, and what should I look for when buying?

Most of the Rangers I've seen in what will likely be my price range tend to have over 100K miles - is this necessarily an issue or do they usually run OK for significantly bigger mileages than this?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Diesel rangers are hard to come by here in the states. I am not familiar with them and its a rarity to see one here. I think the best person to answer that would be member Mfernandes, he is familiar with them in his country

4. OP
    Mick T

Mick T New Member

Thanks hooligan, I thought diesels would be rarer over there. I think every Ranger I've seen here has been a diesel, but then diesels are very popular generally because of the better fuel consumption compared to petrol (gas) - you should see fuel prices over here!

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

How much are they there?

6. OP
    Mick T

Mick T New Member

Fuel prices or Rangers?

Diesel is currently £1.39 a litre where I am, petrol £1.37.

Rangers seem to start at around £2500, although most of the decent-looking ones I've seen are about £3500 and up.

Not sure of the exchange rate right now, but I think a dollar is something like £0.70.

*EDIT* £1.39 is currently $2.24. That's a litre, not a gallon

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  7. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

wow i knew it was high over seas but wow

8. OP
    Mick T

Mick T New Member

I think the main thing that concerns me, apart from what commonly goes wrong, is the fact that, within a given price range, there seems to be a wide disparity in mileage, for example I've commonly seen trucks of similar age with approx 70K miles and 150K miles, going for around the same price. How relevant do people think mileage is?