95 4.0 V6 terrible squeaking

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by JRB, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JRB

JRB 1995 4.0 v6

I have a 1995 ranger 4.0 engine V6 and it recently just began squeaking. I had the problem a few months ago before the truck broke down. It wasn't too severe then, but I just replaced the starter and it began working again. Now that it's fixed, the squeaking is worse than ever. It used to be where I could drive it for a few miles and the squeaking would quit, but now it is non stop and gets louder as my rpm increases. I have a brand new duralast belt on it and I've sprayed wd40 in some areas. I have no idea what else could be the problem. Pulleys? Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix it. If you could leave an estimated price I would appreciate it. Thank you.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Your tensioner could be worn out, causing the belt to be loose and slip.

4. OP
    JRB

JRB 1995 4.0 v6

Thanks. I plan on checking mine out when I get home. I'll post back if everything works out.

5. Sounds good man. Good luck with it

6. mfernandes

mfernandes Simply...FORD

Belt tenssioner, 100% for sure.

Also, you might do all at once; belt tenssioner, idler pulley and the belt itself. Ill do all that to mine in a couple of months (it only squeaks when I kick the gas real hard)

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Dont forget to check the idler pulley as well. Just remove the belt and spin the pulleys....you'll hear the difference in the one that's bad.

8. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

i hope u didnt put wd-40 on the belt! if you did u ruined a new belt!!!!

what i would do is get a new belt, and while the truck is running and and WITH the OLD BELT on take brake cleaner and squirt your pulleys where the belt runs, this will clean your pulleys. Then you can put your new belt on and if it still squeals then its probably a tensioner pulley, which aint terrible to replace

9. Just out of curiousity, what did it end up being?