87' ford ranger cranks but won't start after being run short or long distances!

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by rcampadonia, Jan 5, 2012.

1. rcampadonia

rcampadonia 87' Ranger XLT 4X4 2.9 V6

I have an 87' ford ranger 2.9L V6 that would crank over fast and strong but would not start..smell of raw fuel...problem would occur after being driven as short as a mile...after given an hour or so it would usually start..had a hard time finding information on this problem..but after replacing the fuel pressure regulator,which was highly recommended, still wouldn't start! After Replacing distributer cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil, fuel pump relay, and the ignition relay, i finally figured out what was causing the problem..the culprit was the ignition control module thats bolted to the rear against the firewall of the distributor(a very hot service)...connected by two 7/32nd inch bolts..found one burned terminal on module itself..before replacing part, made sure it didn't start,replaced and sure enough,started first try and kept starting every try after, save yourself a headache and some money and a least check it..i paid $46 at auto zone for a new one!! Best of Luck

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Great to know, Thanks for the headsup

4. woodjim

woodjim New Member

A BIG thank you for this post :thumbup:!!! I have been fighting this same problem :furious: with my '86 Bronco II.