4.6L Engine Swap

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by coltlover, Apr 25, 2009.

1. coltlover

coltlover New Member

Guys,
    I have a 1998 Ranger Ext Cab w/ 3.0 & 120,00mi. I also have a 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor w/ 4.6 & 20,000mi (yes, 20,000 miles). Considering an engine swap in the Crown Vic (5.4l). Wondering how difficult it would be to drop the 4.6 into my Ranger. Anyone out there done this before? Any suggestions or tips?
    Regards,
    Mark

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. JKropetz

JKropetz New Member

4.6 Engine Swap

Hey Mark, I have the same question and with a bit of digging I found some information that is helpful to the both of us, here is the link to the site I found.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html

Im thinking that its going to be a bit of a squeeze especially with the width of the engine, height might be a problem, engine mounts will have to be dropped considerbly, the transmission might have to be changed and depending on the tail shaft location, a longer/shorter driveshaft will have to be put in place, I know i might be regurgitating information you already know but Im not sure what you know, ya know? Hope its helpful!

Justin

4. OP
    coltlover

coltlover New Member

Justin,
    Thanks for the link. Great info. Looks like by the time I went through all the trouble & money, I could have gone forced induction on both vehicles.:eek: