2001 4x4 Stub Shaft Disengages

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Ranger38611, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Ranger38611

Ranger38611 New Member

I have a 2001 Ranger 4X4. 4.0L Engine. I had to replace the left front half shaft because of a split CV boot. When I pulled the half shaft out, the stub shaft came out of the axle housing along with it. I reinstalled the stub shaft then reassembled the steering. The truck ran ok for a week or so then the stub shaft disconnected from inside the differential. This results in a terrible rattle. I took all apart and replaced the C-Clip on the differential end of the stub shaft with the best I could find since the clip did not appear to have the same "springiness" as the one on the CV end. It came loose again. I then took the OEM clip from the CV end of the shaft and placed it on the differential end then reassembled. I also pulled on the inboard CV joint to see how hard it was to expand/compress. It felt smooth and easy. I do not have a clip on the CV end of the stub shaft at the moment. I have taken a couple of quick trips in the truck and can sense a vibration (I think) that may be caused by the missing C-Clip at the stub shaft / CV coupling. Question 1 - Is lack of the outboard clip a problem? Question 2 - What would cause the stub shaft to so easily disengage from the differential?