1991 Ranger 4X4 shifter removal

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by RedDog, Aug 18, 2018.

1. RedDog

RedDog New Member

Hi all,
    I have a 1991 Ford Ranger 4X4 with automatic tranny, I'm installing new carpet and looking for some help on how to remove the 4X4 selector/shifter from the floor so I can fit the carpet around it. I didn't see any snap rings or set screws to get it off and don't want to damage it, any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    RedDog

RedDog New Member

Hey everybody I finally figured this one out - here you go...
    1. Put the shifter in 4L and remove the insert from the top of the shifter ball.
    2. Warm up the shifter ball with a heat gun or blow dryer, use a open end wrench or pliers to push up on the shifter ball.
    Note you may need a rubber hammer to 'coax' it off - we didn't.
    3. Just the reverse for putting it back on, heat it up a little to put it back on so it will expand a little to make it go on smoother.

91 Ranger Shifter.jpg