1991 Ford Ranger, transmission leak

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by Seth Crowther, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Seth Crowther

Seth Crowther New Member

I was freeway driving after driving on country roads for about 30 minutes, I looked in my mirrors just as smoke started from the back. I pulled off the freeway and oil was coming from the underside of my truck. Oil had run down to the axle from the driveline. It had left a good puddle of what I’m thinking was transmission fluid on the freeway behind me. I have taken the transmission out after getting it pulled home. When I lowered the tail end, little transmission fluid came out. I’ve replaced that transmission before but there haven’t been any leaks until now. The oil seems to have came from in between the engine and transmission. There was a pretty good drip after I stopped also. Thank you for your help!

-Seth

1991 Ford Ranger xlt 3.0 engine
    A4ld automatic transmission
    2 wheel drive

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. PeteB

PeteB Member

It sounds like the front pump seal is leaking. Often times they will blow this seal out and cause a significant leak. You'll notice "stake" marks around the perimeter of the seal when its installed. If it was replaced without "re-staking" it. it could have blown out. That's where I would start. Hope this helps.

Pete

4. OP
    Seth Crowther

Seth Crowther New Member

Thank you Pete. I will look into that.
    -have a great day!