1988 ford ranger xlt 2.9 runs like crap will not free rev past 4k

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by s.a.t.titus, Mar 17, 2013.

1. s.a.t.titus

s.a.t.titus 1988 ford ranger xlt

((sorry about my spelling im a lil slow )) (AND I RAMBLE) okay my problem is this truck was runing fine and then one day when i put gas in it crunk it back up and would not rev past 4000 rpm and no power under load past 2k 4k full throtle no power!!! it did it first for a fue hrs and then a week are two later it did it again i droped fuel tank fresh gas checked filter in tank pump checked inline pump they seem to both be working checked fule lines i thought it was fuel but not shore know i have looked all over google to see if anyone has had the same problem i have none asked around nobody knows i have took the cap off the dizzy thinking timeing chain may have jumped turn engine no play so timeing is good idles perfickt sounds like it did when i got it just no freeking power here are things i think it may be still could be pump not shore need fuel pressure test not shore if its (fpr) (tps) (02sensor) (map) (fuel pump) (inline pump) i know its not the filter maby eaven computer:wallbash:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

any check engine lights?

4. OP
    s.a.t.titus

dont know when i got the truck guge cluster was lil beat up and when i fixed i seen there is no check engine lite where would i check for code's or is it like chevy with flashing lite on check engine?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Since the cluster may be defective I think you should get the OBD read and the codes defined. That will help you alot

6. OP
    s.a.t.titus

il try and take it to a shop and get codes read on it it realy is a nice truck it gets 18 mpg with 35s and a 9inch lift till this hapened or i may buy a obd1 reader

7. wilf

wilf New Member

Have you checked the cathilitice converter It may be plugged and will not let the engine run proper/