1988 2.9 Ranger won't turn over

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by KeeseyBaby92, May 30, 2014.

1. KeeseyBaby92

KeeseyBaby92 New Member

Readers,
    I have an 88 2.9 ranger that after sitting thru the winter will not start. With this in mind, I replaced the battery since the other got drained while sitting over an extended period. Next I tried starting it and all I got was a click. So, I took some advice and replaced the solenoid thinking that it wouldn't let the energy from the battery thru to the starter. This didn't do it. So, then I replaced the starter motor. This didn't help either. I also took apart the cover around the cluster/steering column and I saw no lose/cut or missing wires. Can anyone give me some advice? I've been told to check for grounds that are disconnected/missing and from what I have seen so far they are all good except the ground from the passenger fender in the engine compartment to the hood of the truck. Any suggestions?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Mitchman

Mitchman Member

Try the basics first before ripping through wires. my friend went through his 92 4runner and did that to realize it was his ignition fuse. Try your fuses first and go from there.

4. OP
    KeeseyBaby92

KeeseyBaby92 New Member

Which fuses? I believe that all the fuses inside the truck are good with regard to those under the dash on the dirver's side. I didn't see any in the engine compartment

5. Mitchman

Mitchman Member

hmmmmm...... You might be right about improper grounding.

6. James stovall

James stovall New Member

I had the same problem a few years back replaced the entire system as well about three months later I found a loose connection on the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH so I bypassed that and fired right up on first try SOB

7. Calvinvow

Calvinvow New Member

YOU YOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOU