1984 Ranger PCV System

Discussion in '2.0 Engine' started by Ranger_X, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Ranger_X

Ranger_X New Member

I just inherited an ’84 Ranger that has oil blowing out of the vented oil cap. My first thought goes to the PCV system which was disabled by one of the previous owners. There is a ¾ inch tube that runs from what looks like an oil separator on the crankcase. It has been cut and plugged with a metal rod. There is also a ¾ inch tube that runs to an intake just below the carb. It too has been cut and it is plugged with a lug nut. So, this looks like the PCV system with the center of the tube cut out and the ends plugged. I suspect that this is the cause of the oil blowby (at least I hope it’s that and not the rings).

My problem is that I cannot find a PCV valve there or anywhere else. Is the PCV valve incorporated into the oil separator? Or could it have been placed somewhere in the length of the tube (most of which is missing)? Or something else?

According to the VIN this is a 2.0 and it has 80,000+ (or 180,000+, or 280,000+) miles on it.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. chilsam

chilsam New Member

My 87 2.3

has it right about in the middle of the hose your talking about sounds like sum1 deleted it!:eek: