Helpful Wiring Diagrams

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by buggman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I'm always seeing posts on "how do I wire this or that" so I thought it would be a good idea to make this thread to post up some helpful wiring diagrams.
    Please don't copy/link them from other sites.

Lets keep most of the questions in the regular electrical threads & let this thread be all about the diagram goodness.

Here's one diagram that I'm always asked about:

How do I wire up my fog lights with a relay & fuse?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    buggman

Here's another version commonly seen online:

[​IMG]

The wire colors noted here are irrelevant, but the basic design should be helpful.

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thats some good info! Thanks!

5. OP
    buggman

Here's a double relay diagram for those who want to run more than one pair of fog lights that are all controlled by the same switch:

[​IMG]

6. Relay Wiring DiagramUsed for accessories in a 12volt system.
    A relay is typically used to control a component that draws highamperage. The relay allows full power to the component withoutneeding a switch that can carry the amps. The switch only controls therelay. The relay then provides a direct connection to the battery. Itshould be noted that either the power(86) or ground(85) in the relaycontrol circuit can be switched. In the case of a horn, the horn buttonwould be used to switch the ground lead(85) and power(86) would beprovided directly from the fuse box.This is a typical wiring diagram for a standard relay installed forheadlights, horn, fuel pump, electric fan, etc. If the relay has a5th terminal, it is not used.
    [​IMG]

same as Terry's just in case someone needed to know why to use a relay and not just how to wire it but the WHY
    Note: This is a general wiring diagram for automotive applications. Use as reference only. Your lamp kit harness my have different wire colors.
    [​IMG]
    Alternative Fog Or Driving Light Schematic

[​IMG]
    This hook up does away with the headlight lamp connection. Green wire connects directly to the battery to power switch / relay

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  7. OP
    buggman

Nice addition.
    You can also use a relay to turn a device OFF as well as ON.

8. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

thats a nice link about the relays, i need to read up on that

9. 2004xlmiller

2004xlmiller Member

heres a few ive made to make doing the OHCs a little easier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a few, i didnt make, but for the autodims
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

hey bugg if you see this, can you post or PM me the wire colors for the fused 12v+ and the + wire going to the lights? i'll make a diagram for the SPDT switch i wired up to mine.

11. OP
    buggman

For the OEM fog switch wiring? Or for wiring aftermarket fogs via a relay?

If using a standard switch & relay, I generally use red for the power to the lights & from the battery to relay (fused), black for ground & blue or yellow for the relay trigger wire.

I'll have to dig out my diagram for the OEM fog switch wiring to make sure... I know red/black is the dash lights power & black is ground but I forget what the tan/oj & blue/black wires go to :huh:

12. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

for your OEM fog switch harness, please and thank you. i lost my instructions.

13. OP
    buggman

Ah... well I never know what color wire I'll use on them until I start making a kit... they might be all white, red, green or any random color :whistling: But I do label each wire to make life a bit easier.

14. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

It has been a while since there has been a posting.
    No sense to add another schematics so I will post the following.

When choosing a relay for general lighting on/off applications always choose the four pin instead of the five pin version.
    The five pin version has pin #87a, this pin will be live with 12v when the lights or other accessory is off. If you are using a socket it usually isn't a big problem but if you are just wiring straight to the relay you could have a shorted condition w/pin 87a left uncovered.

If you have a use for power on when the lights are off then a five pin relay might be the way to go, maybe an indicator light to tell you the lights are off, lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  15. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  16. Glenn

Glenn New Member

I'm looking for a wiring chart for a 86 Super Ranger. Mainly for the fuel pump sys.
    Also if anyone can tell me were to get code tester for a 86 Ranger.

Thanks Glenn