Windshield wipers stopping!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Hooligan, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

My wipers keep stopping on me while they are on. Sometimes they won't even turn on. They will stop intermittently quite often and caught me at a bad time today and I almost crashed. I checked the connections and all good. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. my delay sw. was hangin up on me a while back, I just kept moving it and had not had a problem with it since

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

It's a common problem with your year truck. The switch (on the steering column) gets built up with gunk. Take it apart and clean it. You can try popping off the end cap, CAREFULLY remove the ribbed grip, the spring, and don't lose the cotter pin. Clean up the connections in there, re-grease it with di-electric grease, and reassemble. If it doesn't work, your switch or motor is probably toast.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. i just moved mine back and forth a dozen times and it works great ever since. but then again no rain either lol

6. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I have pulled that before but just cleaned around it within the steering column when I first got the truck. Do you mean cleaning it where the elctric connectors are on the back or the actual rotating switch at the end of the stalk?

7. At least you didn't crash man :D I had a fuse blow in the Dakota and was left without them, but if yours keep coming on then its not that... Could be the motor for em going. I've heard from people thags a problem with Fords in general.

8. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

@ Clinton, Yes, clean the electronic parts, and regrease.

9. kozal01

kozal01 New Member

Yep, like Brinker said, the multi-function switch is bad/ dirty. Hope its just dirty because they are not cheap to replace.

10. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

clinton is the junk yard god, he could find one cheap.

11. This lol

12. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Got ya! Thanks man

Great...

Yeah lol......I actually already have another turn signal stalk and the components in the garage. Must have been a psychic vision when I grabbed it lol

13. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

:notworthy::jester::notworthy:clinton is the jy king......