Which Speakers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pbav8tor, May 9, 2012.

1. Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

So I was driving around today and decided that I need new speakers. I want louder but crisp. So what would you guys suggest? The headunit is an Eonon 7" Touchscreen, love it and just want to bump it.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Alpine Type S. I have 2 of em in the back and they're kickass

4. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

So just replace the rear speakers? And what size are the OEM speakers?

5. I'd say put em in all of your speaker spots lol I only could find 2 at the jy, so that's all I did. Plus, the two of the four bostons I got worked. They're 240 watt max I believe, but have amazing quality even on the stock wiring

6. And I have 6x8s in nkw, but you can fit up to 6x9s

7. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

If you want good sound, I suggest swapping in a pair of 6.75" components in the front doors. Requires some truck modification(like an airsaw to sheetmetal), but the end result is amazing. I'm actually in the middle of pricing out a full new door speakers (powered via an amp)..... Likely a Hertz ESK 165 powered by a 75x4+350x1 amp.

If you're just looking for something better than stock that doesn't really break the bank or your wallet and doesn't really require an amplifier, look into Infiniti Reference 5x7's. I've had mine for a few years and LOVE them. For the rear, since you've got a reg cab, not much will make a big difference. A matching set of rear speakers is better than stock. References are competitively priced and won't break the bank.

I've also ran the Pioneer 5x7 mid-quality speaker that are available for el-cheapo right meow. They did great but they were missing the mid-range sound I was after.

8. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

6.5 or 6.75' either way X2, do component speakers.

Pioneer has some really good speakers for a reasonable price, listen to some before buying anything.

Chk out SonicElectronixs for some great pricing.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  9. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

I recommend anything by Infiniti for speakers. Pioneer also makes great door mids and tweeters.

10. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

11. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I've been really happy with my Kenwood 2 & 3 way 5x7 / 6x8's.
    Have the 3 ways in the doors & the 2 ways in the back. Found them in the closeout/open box section of Crutchfield... less than half the price of new ones, when I got 'em (about a year or so apart) both boxes had been opened, but nothing inside had been removed.

Very crisp highs & great mids. Powering them via my 4ch MTX amp at about 50w per channel RMS crossed over at about 120hz.

With a little work you can get 6x9's in there if they're the only speakers you're running (aka no sub) to provide you a little more bass.

12. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

Thanks guys for the input. Now I have some research to do but now I have a direction.

13. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Thanks for posting about Crutchfield's "Specials" section... if one is building an entire new system, good savings could be had! At least the components I've been considering are priced about 15-20% off. Thanks Buggman!