What is YOUR take on wheel spacers?

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by Hooligan, Mar 1, 2013.

?

Wheel spacers

1. Good

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. BAD!!!!!

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Ok guys, it's time for some opinions!

Wheel spacers...GOOD OR BAD?

Why are they good? Highway driving only?

Why are they bad? Damage while off-roading?

If they are good, what is a good brand?

I threw in a poll but would like to hear your input on this!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

baddddd

seen a few people personally have them break, and have read countless times online of them breaking.

ill never run them.

of course, there are cheap ones, and expensive ones. aka, crap ones, and not so crap ones, but i still think they are a bad idea all around. want the tires to stick out, get wheels with less backspacing.

4. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

If at all possible do not use them.

If you do buy steel unit, although I have heard the aluminum works for some.

5. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

i've been running alumn 1.25" bolt ons for 5-6 years on the front and haven't had any issues with them failing. i've broken a lug stud two or three times taking the wheel off, but never while driving. i got my full turning radius back, and the front/rear tracks match.

6. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

ok so are we taking about spacers or adapters?

7. 06FordFX4

Spacer, adapter, same thing really.

And aluminum spacer? Uh, yikes..... Aluminum is the last thing you should use for something like a spacer...

8. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

the adapters are far more worst

9. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

my truck is a street truck, maybe that's the difference. i haven't had a single problem with them. i probably have close to 60k miles on them.

10. 06FordFX4

scary.
    aluminum is not something you want to use where stress or pressure is involved.
    aluminum warps....

11. TurdFX4

TurdFX4 Schuylkill Countys Finest

Theyre actually illegal in PA, look it up... but then again, its one of those dumb vehicle laws that they don't enforce

12. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I'm not worried about legalities

13. pooleo

pooleo New Member

meh, I used to run a set of 2" spacers. I would run some again and am thinking about getting some 1.25" or 1".

The point about them being aluminum.....there are aluminum rims, they dont warp.

My only "issue" would be with the spacer coming off. That would probably never happen, seems how if all the lugs came loose they would be stopped by the back of the rim. When I had mine I put lock tite on the lugs that bolted it to the hub. The lugs are steel so no issues there.

I have never heard or seen one break, even in serious off-road conditions.

Now the actual spacers, the ones that are like .25" thick or so that have all the holes and are ment to just space the rim out, I would not trust those. Your loosing threads on your lugs. But the ones with actual lugs I would use.