turn signal problems

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by chrisbuemiw, Jul 10, 2013.

1. chrisbuemiw

chrisbuemiw New Member

I have a 97 ranger and am having problems with the turn signals.
    It keeps blowing the fuse when i turn on my right hand turn signal, but
    When i use the left it works without blowing. First thing comes to mind
    Is wiring which i know nothing about where do i start to look any help
    Is appriciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. mfernandes

mfernandes Simply...FORD

Tricky.

Have you done some mods to your truck involving electrical stuff lately?

Id start by checking the front and rear turn signal looking for corrosion on the bulb holders.

If you turn on the hazzards, does the fuse blows?

4. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I would start with pulling the lamp, check to see how the socket looks, pull the Light Assembly and check the wiring, making sure the connection are good and there is a ground wire connection.
    If all looks good, using a Multimeter, check for 12 volts first using the socket connections and then in the wiring.
    If still no voltage reading start tracing the wiring backward from the socket.

If all looks good and all connections are good, no broken or bare wiring, you may want to check the Muti-function Switch (MFS), inside of the steering column. It will come apart easily, just time and a few tools is all that is needed and some patience.

Check the connection on the MFS for fully seated pins and no broken parts.

If all is well then you may need to get another MFS and replace the one you have, just to see if the one you have is good or not.

Sorry I can't help you more that that, I can tell you what I might do other than taking it to the N-th degree.

Ltr

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  5. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Good advice from Scrambler...Only thing I can add is if it has any trailer wiring to disconnect it. I had a trailer light converter go bad on my 97.