Turboing a 2.3L

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by fordalltheway, Aug 28, 2012.

1. fordalltheway

fordalltheway New Member

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4cyl 5spd Manual 193K miles an I’m wanting to get some power out of this little thing! I kind of want to stay on the cheaper end of the deal but a turbo sounds so fun, I have a stock Engine, I Heard that taking the silencer out of the air intake piping and it may have helped a little but I’ve really haven’t done anything else to it motor wise. New Slave cylinder and fresh tranny fluid and ive done visual things to it but back on track to the turbo now lol. I’ve wanted to know How different are the Tbird engines and just the 2.3 out of the ranger? Injectors, Cams, Heads, etc. different? I was thinking if i did go thru on this If the Tbird Parts are different switch them to my 2.3 and new Gasket Set hi flow water pump 190degree thermostat Open up the exhaust cold air intake and a fresh tune up plugs wires and what not. If i did turbo it wouldn’t be any more than 7-10psi of boost. I know you would have to change the pistons for a turbo for compression, An Turbo I was thinking t3/t4 possibly, And ECU possibilities. What would be a good starting point for this project or what would be some good idea for getting this engine turbo ready. Ive also thought of regearing I have the 3.73’s now really wanting to change them, I do a lot of highway driving and would be fun to have a turbo or a nice performance upgrade. Looking for opinions and thoughts.. Hope to hear something soon!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU