tool brands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mcdonald58, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im thinking about getting one of those mechanics tool set from walmart or somewhere. walmart has a stanley set, channel lock and ultra steel. im looking for a 100+ piece kit. i would also prefer american made of course. what brands of tools had you guys had the best of luck with?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I buy from all over. From Craftsman to harbor freight. I havent had an issue with anything. I think if they were tools you used on a daily basis then buying a real good reputable brand is necessary. If its a week end warrior type tool, I like harbor freight to get the cheapy ones and save for craftsman some times

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Check out harbor freight, their Pittsburgh tool line now carries a lifetime warranty similar to Craftsman

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

7. that looks like it has a lot of tools, and if you use a 20% OFF COUPON IT COMES TO 150 BUCKS not too shabby

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

^^Agreed. go with a smaller set or if you can afford the big one, get it, its a good deal

9. here is a review you might like
    " I NEEDED A GOOD TOOL SET TO WORK ON MY CARS. FIRST DAY I HAD IT I REBUIT A FORD RANGER ENGINE. VERY NICE SET I DID BREAK THE 1/2 RATCHET. BUT THIS SET HAS LIFE TIME WARANTY SO JUST TAKE IN THE BROKEN TOOL AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A NEW ONE.
    THE SET HAS EVERYTHING EXCEPT A 1/4 EXT. WHICH I ADDED TO MINE.
    BEST INVESTMENT IVE MADE IN TOOLS"

10. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

11. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

my buddy just bought a socket set from Craftsman I think it was every size deepwell socket they make and it was 6pt at that for $600

12. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

my buddie has the exact same set he carrys around with him, it's a nice, fairly complete set. my dad also uses mostly craftsman hand tools, sockets, ratchets & wrenches at work, he is a professional mechanic and they hold up amazingly well.

my personal set consists of a smaller craftsman set, and a set of husky sockets about the same size as the one you're looking at. both have been great to me, i did break one of the craftsman ratchets the first day i had it, never had a single problem with the husky tools for the 5+ years i've had them. husky phillips head screw drivers suck though, avoid them unless they're free!

if you're making a set of tools to have, i would also suggest a nice set of pliers(i've got a set of about 10 that i use more than my wrenches) , a couple pairs of vice grips, and set of screwdrivers.

13. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

mac, matco and snap on for me...with a few craftsman mixed in there

14. S-K tools are what I grew up with and craftsman, but if you are looking for a knock around set and not a pro set look into the craftsman or harbor freight brands otherwise go higher dollar such as matco and s-k , snap-on, I still have some challenger tools , not even sure if they are around anymore

You can also check craigslist or yard sales and get quality tools cheap

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  15. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got a 154 piece mechanics tool set for christmas. heres the link for it http://www.sears.com/craftsman-154-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00935154000P i like it a lot. the design of the box is awesome. i think im going to add a few things though. like a breaker bar and some extensions. i dont like how the hex keys are organized though, they are just thrown in a bag. i might get an organizer for them.

16. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Nice!

You'll be happy with the Craftsman.
    I've had a set for 20+ years & any time anything gets stripped out or brakes, they'll replace them for free no questions asked.
    Only had a couple items replaced in all that time.

I also have tons of other cheap tools too, I don't mind lending them out... if they get lost or broken, I'm not out much :)

If you have the room, check out the HF black 3pc rolling tool cabinet. I got one on sale a while back and it's very well built for the money.

17. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Yea I kind of wish I got the 192 piece set but I think the 154 piece will work fine for everything I bed to do

18. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im returning the 154 piece and getting the 192 piece set. i like the design of the box a lot better.

19. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I know you've made your mind up and a good decision.

I still have most of my original tools from my first CraftsmanmTool Set, from... Well a long time ago !
    Although there have been changes in there tools Craftsman's Tools are the best buy for price, quality and availability.

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

and their american made. between that and the waranty i didnt see a reason to buy another brand except craftsman. i would have bought a snap on set but thats way to expensive.