Thought about getting a Raptor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scrambler82, May 12, 2013.

1. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Went to check some of my investments, since the market is at an all time high, and if I pulled some money I could get a good down payment on a Raptor or at least make the payments reasonable.

BUT, BUT…

WTF is FORD thinking !
    Why, Who would pay 52K$ for an F150, even a Raptor.

I tried a few different setup and the price ranged from low to mid fifties.
    The Platinum and the King Ranch were even higher.

Ford only gives you their option packages and if you want something else you have drop something you really wanted to get the next package… and the Raptor is the worse of the batch with only a few options.
    Where is the time when you went to the Dealership, picked the truck and the options you want and wait for it to arrive !

It really got to me, I am sssooo pi$$ed off that I will not be buying another Ford, well at least not until and if they come out with the F100.

That is, IF the F100 doesn’t look like a revamped car and IF it ever happens.

Anyway, decided I could do more on my Ranger with less cash.

Thanks for listening.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

What options are you looking for on a raptor? Just curious.

4. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

There isn’t a lot of options.
    I wanted the new Coyote 5.0 motor and a Saddle Brown interior.
    There used to be an engine selection but now there is only the 6.2 gas guzzler. (16-18 mpg)
    There is no interior option except the blue strip and basic colorsl.

I put in a request for dealer response and got one that said I could order one with a 5.0L and saddle brown interior, sounds good but he said it will take some time, easily 3 months maybe more. he said it was because of Ford allocating the F150s to the Dealerships.
    Also, every time I requested an option change on line I got a message suggestion I switch to an XLT and from what I could tell it was because they were suggesting I look at the six F150s in the local dealership, doesn’t matter what I wanted.

5. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Went on line looking again !
    The Platinum/5.0/6 sp auto can be purchased for less money and it has a better option listing.
    Just do not like the four door set up, will have to test drive one and see how it handles.
    Also, the 13/16 mpg is something to think about; I thought the F150s were over 20 mpg, wtf ?
    I know ECO Boost and watch it blow up in your face !

6. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

If I had the money to buy a Raptor, I would love to send it down to Hennessey as well. They work magic with vehicles. But I agree the price tag is a little over the top, but it's a ready to go off road hero with tons of power but limited on options in comparison to the Platinum or even the Harley version F-150s.

I agree as well, the days of picking the options on vehicles and waiting for them to arrive at the dealer are gone. It's still possible on some vehicles (mostly high end sports cars), but most of the time people end up settling for one on the lot instead of waiting to get the one they really want. And even then, the way the set up the packages of options, it's just to get you to pay more $$ to get that one option only available in a certain package with all the other features/options you may not want.

7. doyouquaxu

Their magic has burned down 7 raptors to date, the most recent being a luxury prerunner build with a 6 figure price tag. And I'm pretty sure the first raptor to have their kit installed burned down the first time the owner drove it.

8. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Lol. Wow.

Good thread is good.

Raptors aren't that expensive when you look at what you're getting.

And lol @ Hennessy. How is that company still in business.

9. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

Eh it's been a while since I've looked into them so I was unaware of that. Good to know lol.

I mean I would probably still drive one of these if given the chance:[​IMG]

10. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

F150s drive beautiful...and if you drive it right you will see 20mpg

11. 06FordFX4

not in the 6.2 you wont lol

12. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Ford states less than 20, can’t remember exactly but thinking 16-18 mpg and that $ucks and I think that milage is IF you are lucky.
    Thinking it should be more like 20-25 if not higher would be more appropriate for this space in time.

The 5.0L should be an option, maybe not as fast but I would think better milage and I for one want the Coyote.
    Wish they made a standard cab short bed version.

Ford in SoCal is asking a premium for their Raptors… they didn’t say how much but suggested a Platinum for the money.

Again, who is going to pay over $50K for an F150 and if they do why ?
    Raptor, Platinum and King Ranch, way too much money.

Too bad I would like to have had one but as I said my Ranger with some money invested will last a little while more and by then I will want a car, NOT !

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  13. 06FordFX4

why pay that much for a raptor? because they are easily worth that much lol.

and you can get a barebones raptor (not really barebones, but no added extras) for less than 50. can get into one for right around 48k. whch isnt bad at all considering its a 411 hp v8, a foot of travel with 2.5" fox shocks, tons of offroad electronics, locker, torsen up front, offroad mode, hill decent, leather interior, etc.

you get your money's worth with the raptor. the others, way to much money yes, theyre just normal trucks.

14. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I have not seen one under $54K and I was told by one dealer that there was a premium added too !

Who knows if I had seen one under the $50K mark... MAYBE I would have one now but still $50K plus is a lot for a F150.

I do like the RED colored one, but again where did the 5.0L go ?

15. 06FordFX4

the 5.0 isnt powerful enough lol. its an SVT vehicle. big power. i doubt the 5.0 would stand up to the abuse as well. its not the best truck engine.

and theres plenty under 54K. just gotta know where to look, and who to talk to.

16. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

scrambler...you can get a used F150 thats one or two years old for 30-low 40s and they may even be certified

17. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Thinking now on the 2015 Bronco, should be out in mid 2014.

18. doyouquaxu

They look even better in person than on a screen, I'll tell you that

19. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Tell me, R U attached to the Prototype Group of Ford ?

Where did you see it ?

I know it is based on the f150 but does it look bigger or more towards the original in size ?

20. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

I am not even convinced that it is real and you are saying you have seen them in person?

Pics or GTFO.

21. camodown

camodown Member

Most people I know get 12-13 mpg out of their raptors. It's hard to keep your foot out of it and there is so many in my area it's like driving around Jurassic Park. I probably see 10-20 a day.