The Ranger :: 2006 Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Member Garages' started by 06FordFX4, Dec 13, 2012.

1. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

2012 Ford (2012-12-13 17:18:22)

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. timbits588

timbits588 New Member

more pictures!!! nice truck

4. OP
    06FordFX4

Will update soon!

5. OP
    06FordFX4

ok, gonna copy paste this from another site im on.

Alright, not really a "build" thread as I'm not planning any major mods right now. Few months I'll have tires/wheels/body lift, but that wont be for a while.

Stock Specs:
    2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
    Polished alcoa's
    31x10.50 tires
    4.0 SOHC

Mods done:
    Fog light Mod. Allows fog lights to be on with high beams.
    K&N drop in air filter
    Reflex Wiper Blades
    LED tail lights/reverse lights
    32x11.50x15 Falken Wildpeak AT's
    15x8 pro comp series 52 wheels
    MBRP turndown exhaust
    Superchips flashpaq tuner

Planned mods:
    Black headlights with HID projectors.
    black billet grille

Pictures:

Day after picked up from dealer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the steps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to flex it out and see what she's got stock. Pretty damn good imo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I cleaned her up nice and shiny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New tires on!

so freaking smooth on pavement, and quiet to.

and on gravel they grip incredibly well compared to my old tires. minimal spinning, and great breaking performance.

had them in a bit of sand, very fine and loose. not packed at all. with my old tires I had to use 4x4 to get around in it. with these tires 2wd works fine. which is nice.

have yet to test em extensivly in sand and rock though, but from the little bit i did have em in, they work great.

heres a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and just to test if they rears rub at flex i went and tested it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they clear the fender flares on the inside by about 1/8" so its perfect. i love em. they pocket in the wheel well nicely.

6. OP
    06FordFX4

next few things i did.

plasti-dipped the grille and hood bulge. Looks really good in person. however thanks to the wind kicking up dust when it dried, it looked likt **** thanks to the dust landing in it while wet, so i peeled the plasti dip off. but now i know I like the look, and can have it viny wrapped later.

[​IMG]

Bedlined the wheel wells
    New tires throw up rocks so this protects and prevents that annoying sound of rock on metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

installed cheap ass lights

[​IMG]

found a better spot to test the flex
    rubs on the front of the flare. any more and it would have started ripping it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i bedlined a piece of angle iron and bolted it onto the lights. now have a legit light bar to bolt more lights onto, and it looks better, also sits right on the bumper so its 100% sturdy and no bouncing lights anymore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the last thing ive done i think is moving the lights to the back, facing rear wards. lights up the bed. gets dark stupid early, and i like being able to see when im loading/unloading.

[​IMG]

7. OP
    06FordFX4

ok, so,future plans include a backrack, pictured below.

an LED lightbar for the front, probably located in the lower grille opening, so its practically invisible till its turned on.

and thats probably it. other than regular maintennance stuff.

engine has a ticking to it, several folks ive asked say its 99% most likely the timing chain guide wore out. and with the 4.0 you gotta remove the engine to do the back one. which i want to put off as long as possible. im not made of money lol.

so if i can make it last long enough to make spare cash to have it fixed, great. if not, its going to be 5.0 time.

honestly... im kinda hoping to go the 5.0 route. if i gotta pull the 4.0 anyways, why not drop in a 5.0, right?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  8. OP
    06FordFX4

long term plans are either an SAS, or long travel setup. havent decided, but have many years to decide. as it wont happen till the ranger is retired from DD status.

but, the end goal would be to run 35's and be a capable offroader. wether it be slow technical stuff, or high speed and jumpin **** lol.

9. JustinRanger96

JustinRanger96 justinranger96

nice truck man! and lots of good pics. she flexes good!

10. OP
    06FordFX4

Indeed she does. Not bad for stock.

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Very nice truck man! If that 4.0 comes out, let me know!

12. OP
    06FordFX4

if it does come out, it wont be for a long time haha. it still has the tick, but now that its betting warmer its not as noticeable. still dont know for sure 100% what it is, but i havent really been checking either.

short term plans have been decided.

before the end of summer the following will be done.

12" Sub + 5 channel amp.
    body lift
    33x12.50 falken wildpeaks (love these tires)

and, another hopeful mod, but will depend on cash, is getting the flares, bumpers, rockers, basically everything that is grey, line-x'd

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That's ok. I'm looking for a 4.0 to try and learn to rebuild. Kind of like a guinea pig just in case

14. OP
    06FordFX4

yeah, I wanna learn about engines and stuff, so I will probably some time pick up a 5.0 and tear it down, and slowly build it up. then drop it in the ranger haha. many many years away though. nothing wrong with a 4.0
    just a little underpowered

15. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I really like the 4.0, I would like it even more knowing how to rebuild one!

16. OP
    06FordFX4

its a reliable engine, thats for sure.
    i dont hate it, but i dont absolutely love it either. it works for what i need right now. just wouldnt mind a bit more power haha.

17. OP
    06FordFX4

replaced the drivers side sway bar link I broke back in the summer of 2012.

had it off, didn't like the handling on road. When I went to put it back on, the bolt snapped and wouldn't tighten. so i finally replaced it today. got a killer deal on a new link from a local classified ad.

few pictures.

Old link:

[​IMG]

New Link:

[​IMG]

Old Link, you can see how much extra space there is.

[​IMG]

New link. All tight :)

[​IMG]

New vs old

[​IMG]

where you see the cuts on the old link is where i cut the outer plastic to free up the bolt. it was stuck inside the plastic piece. which im lucky that happened or id have been stuck without a link in there since last summer lol.

18. OP
    06FordFX4

Plans for this spring include:

3" Body Lift.
    33" Falkens on the current wheels
    BackRack Headache rack to protect my roof
    Chevy 64" leaf swap

Possibilities include:
    Custom rear bumper
    Rock sliders

19. OP
    06FordFX4

welp, been a while. body lift is done, 33's are on, the rest didnt get done due to some things that came up.

pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still need to do my gap guards (have rubber for it), need to get crush blocks welded in, and i need to get my hitch done.

20. chrisnelson

chrisnelson New Member

Sweet ride!
    I am new to this forum and I am interested in lifting my 06 Ranger as well.
    Could you guide me as to how and what you bought in regards to the lift?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. OP
    06FordFX4

Small update. Had my hood painted when getting hail damage fixed. Did the grill myself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk