Switching out Front end

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by tlaning, Feb 18, 2012.

1. tlaning

tlaning New Member

I am trying to switch out the IFS front end of my 99 Ranger to a Dana 30. Does anyone have anything on what they have done to accomplish this? Looks like a lot of fabrication, and if I can avoid recreating the wheel to accomplish it that would be great.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

send member brinker88 a pm he's the suspension guru and has loads of useless and useful info on suspension..

4. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

You have to notch your frame... Not my cup of tea lol

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Depending on what youre gonna do with this truck, I want to sway you away from that boat anchor of an axle to a dana 44. They're junk. You need to find one WITHOUT vaccuum disconnect. Good luck. Oh and the hub assemblies are over $100 a pop.

And Elcaminoman, you dont have to "notch" your frame. You need to plate the frame and make a PROPER mount for the steering box.

6. pooleo

pooleo New Member

You would probably be better off to look for a 97- year truck. It'd be alot easier to swap it over.

7. El Camino Man

Are you sure? I was thinkin about doin this swap on my truck and immediately changed my mind when about 4 people said Id need to notch the frame...

8. Brinker88

What do you mean "notch" the frame?

9. Brinker88

^^This :yes: with a 2001+ front end

10. El Camino Man

I dunno lol. I didnt care after that. Ill keep my IFS lol. Not sure why you would need to either but it was from another forum. I hated those bastards anyways...

11. allentwright

allentwright New Member

Looks like a lot of fabrication, and if I can avoid recreating the wheel to accomplish it that would be great.

12. carrkool

carrkool New Member

dana 30

if you plan on going bigger than a 31 stay away from the dana 30. it has very week points point 1 outer knuckle seen them crack with 33s on a daily driver that never went 4x4ing just a town runner point 2 where axle tubes meet rear housing. common breaking point when offroading.

plus dana 30s are full time hubs with a passenger side vac lock you can turn it to cable or full time with a kit full time is 90 buck cable is 150 bucks however the driver side runs full time to the diff. to put lock out hubs is about a grand from warn. best bet if you want a solid axle go with a dana 44. its a strong better and more options to change it how you want