starter

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by pwrply2, Dec 20, 2009.

1. pwrply2

pwrply2 New Member

i am having some kind of problem with a 89 ford ranger 2.3l...the truck is very hard to start in the morning after sitting all night....when my wife went to start the truck this morning, she cranked and cranked the last time she cranked it the starter caught and would not let go...i pulled the negative battery cable off hoping this would disengage the starter but when i reconnected it, it still wanted to start on its own....the truck has a new silinoid, new battery cables, new starter, and new ignition switch....im lost...can anyone help??? please.....thank you

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. It might be just a bad crank

4. seajack

seajack New Member

2.3 starter

First of all- that solenoid is most likely shot. Contacts are welded together from the excessive cranking. Even though you just replaced it, it's still no good. Replace it.
    Until you figure out what the hard starting problem is you probably will have the same solenoid problems.
    My advice is- Go to a Ford dealer and buy their factory solenoid.
    If you're buying off Oreilly, Auto zone, etc. you're probably getting cheap China parts which in a lot of cases ain't worth a darn.
    I certainly don't see a bad crank causing the starter to continue running!!
    My opinion.

Seajack
    Concrete, Wa.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

lol... a bad crank???? i dont think so....

i agree with sea jack... i would just go to autozone and pick one up... you could go to a junk yard and pick up a couple intill you find out the problem...with it starting

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thread moved to new 2.3 engine category

7. sheldoncooper

sheldoncooper New Member

Hi there, this same situation happened to me when I replaced my starter kit with new starter accessories. Apparently, the parts I got were lemons because I couldn't start the car for the life of me and this was attributed to the already broken solenoid. Good thing this was still covered by the warranty and had it replaced; no problems since then I'm happy to say :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011