Spray on bedliner removal???

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Redneck_ranger, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Is there any way I can take the bedliner off my truck without taking off the paint that I didn't sand underneath it??? I really want to lose the bedliner and have the truck back to the way it was before I went and bought it...

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Uh wtf acetone? IBM nail polish remover? I foret what exactly you can use dude your going to make your whole truck stock now to stop you from going in the mud

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

What was your prep before you sprayed? Scuffed the surface then shot it???

I removed my rattle-can bedliner from my chrome bumper using a few different ways before I figured out a good one. You see, I didn't sand, I just cleaned and sprayed on a few coats of primer then on went a few layers of the DupliColor Truck Bed Coating stuff. Some 3 years later, I wanted me some chrome again. A hammer to make chips left marks on the chrome. Palm sander left sanding marks. Jasco Paint Remover was the savior. Stripped all the bedliner off the chrome, leaving a nice prettyish chrome finish(on the passenger 3/4 of the bumper. lol).

Mods like this on paint work is a do-or-die sorta deal most the time. It's one of the reasons I've yet to do it and sort of do not plan on ever doing it. For good adhesion, sanding needs done. Sanding = scratched up clear coat. Scratched up clearcoat = wanting to reshoot original color and/or cover it up with bedliner again. It's when you start throwing cans of paint at it is when you realize how UGG it may become. Not necessarily saying yours is ugly, I'm just speaking of my truck's ugly as sin stage. lol.

5. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I never sanded the paint, just basically cleaned and sprayed.

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Got access to a pressure washer?? If so, play with the colored tips. Widest angle to the narrowest. Be really careful if you use the pencil straight beam. That stuff will cut through wood. Might be the only way.

Top Tip: gas pressure washer FTW.

You may try out laquer thinner in small quantities to loosen up the paint. The clear coat is pretty thick but still, be cautious. Maybe a plastic putty knife too. The truck will probably need a hell of a buff job afterward though.

7. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Okay, I'll take the pressure washer to it. I have a pretty low powered one, but it still eats away at loose stuff. Now like you did with the hammer, would that work to loosen it and crack it? Obviously I wouldn't be reconstructing the look of the body with it, but semi-heavy taps?

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Painted sheet metal being under it is different than a thickish chrome plated steel bumper. Medium taps. Could try it. Could try it only after trying the pressure washer and laquer thinner.

Find a can of what you used and see what the instructions say about removing it from skin and such.

9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Okay, I'll find a can and get back to you on it. Thanks Shane

10. ob269

ob269 New Member

Why you takin the bedliner off Pete?

11. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

sand blaster ftw!!!!!

12. Soda blaster much easier on everything

13. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

i was generalizing the sand blasting type stuff, but yes soda blasting is safer, but on something it takes to damn long, for that id glass blast

14. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Dude this is an easy one... Just set it in fire! Lol

15. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Because I want to have the truck one color and see how I like it. I need to take it off anyways because I didn't sand it all down when I first did it...

16. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Paint thinner then see how it looks and reprint it lol