Speedometer malfunctioning?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Redneck_ranger, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Yet another problem with the bitch... Last night my battery died, as soon as it got out of the garage....again....:cry: When I got a jump from my dad, the speedo bounces between ten and twenty, when I'm at a dead stop. When I drive, it seems to work fine. Idk if something short circuited in it, or what, but I am a little spooked because I don't know if it's telling me the speed accurately. Any solutions that are cheap????? I just paid $320 to get my last problem resolved...

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Try unhooking the negative terminal of the battery, and putting it back on to see if that corrects it

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I took both terminals off last night in hopes that I wouldn't need another jump. I pulled in front of my dorm to unload my stuff, and ten minutes later, it just clicked and died...

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Sounds like you need a new battery. I have heard the speedometer getting a little funky after jump starts so it just may need the battery

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alright. That's what I was thinking (and hoping). Uhh, I wanted to get an Optima Yellowtop for her, but my dad don't want to pay a hundred bucks for it. Would you suuggest otherwise?

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Do interstate batteries, they are the only company I know of that has tech guys go to the stores to check all batteries they sell to make sure they havent sat too long and died out. They rotate them frequently, so I'd go with that

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alright. That reminds me of the dakota... Had an interstate in it, wrong size entirely.... But it lasted for six years, after we bought the truck. God only knows how long it was in there before that. Lmao. Gotta love halfass mechanics. XD

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah I hear ya man. I think the battery will correct your issue though. Let us know how you make out

10. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Will do. Gonna get it as soon as I get home today. Thanks

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Anytime

12. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Got the new battery, for free luckily, and it fixed everything. The battery was still on warranty, even though I bought the truck with it in there. :D

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Sweet...see you're saving money already lol