Shorty Console Restoration

Discussion in 'Ranger Media' started by Fordzilla80, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Fordzilla80

Fordzilla80 Eat Bacon, Drive Rangers.

Alright guys, I am going to write an exclusive restoration and installation thread here at RF.net in hopes that we can boost membership here whenever people search for shorty consoles.

I picked up this shorty console from a 2001 Mazda B4000 at the junkyard. I only paid $5 for the complete console including the cast metal mounting support and the clips/fasteners. It was quite dirty, and suffers from the cracked armrest bottom plate syndrome.

Over the next few weeks I will be documenting the clean up and restoration of the console and then the installation of the console into my Ranger. I will also document the installation of the RockAuto metal bottom plate, but at a later date since the crack in my armrest doesn't affect the armrest's position as of yet. Currently my truck has the 60/40 seat, so I will also be documenting the 60/40 mod that I will have to do to my driver's side seat.

The entire console will be going Satin Black to match my seats and the other black accents in the truck. I am also considering adding a Mag-Light mount to the underside of the armrest.

Here's a few pics to get started with.

[​IMG]

These next two pics were taken after I disassembled the majority of the console and then proceeded to clean it up, especially the upper armrest. I used dish soap and water, and a scrub brush to clean up the console. The armrest has some deep stains that won't come out, but that's fine with me since the armrest will be recovered anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thats awesome man! Thanks for sharing it here!

4. OP
    Fordzilla80

No problem Clinton! :)

5. nicksranger01

nicksranger01 New Member

subbing this cause mine need redone

6. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

nice man thanx for the info

7. OP
    Fordzilla80

Well I spent today prepping and painting all the individual pieces of the console. I won't go into detail on how I prepped since this isn't a how-to thread, but I made sure all debris was off of the console pieces and made sure there was nothing that could interfere with the paint.

I have an in at a local upholstery shop, and so in the middle of drying times I took the console in to have it recovered in some black vinyl for $20 out the door. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

The next two pictures were taken after the painted pieces in the picture were allowed to dry. I wanted to test fit the console lid and the cup holder section to make sure the satin black was drying adequately and providing a factory appearance.

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see the crack in the lid of the armrest. Right now the crack doesn't affect the armrest's position, but eventually I will be upgrading to the RockAuto metal plate.

[​IMG]

And finally after all the pieces were painted inside and out. This was just a test fit to check again for factory appearance. Tomorrow the pieces will come back apart for clear coat.

[​IMG]

8. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i want one now!!! looks good man

9. OP
    Fordzilla80

Thanks man! The pictures don't do it justice, it looks amazing in person.

I can't wait to get the armrest back for it.

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thats friggin great man! Any chance you could do a "How To" on it?

11. OP
    Fordzilla80

Thanks Clinton!

I could definitely write a how-to. I'm short on pictures, but I can fix that.

12. OP
    Fordzilla80

Thanks guys!

13. nicksranger01

nicksranger01 New Member

looks good man, mine i did the lid and cup holder white and the rest is black except the fabric which is still gray

14. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That would be great man!