Rockers rocked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Freemans 00, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Well my buddy talked me into fixing the rocker panels today, but to what extent? We sanded did everything tried the expanding foam (not a good idea) and it wouldnt harden just expand. After digging it out we realized we couldnt get it off our hands and we used multiple things. Called the 1800 number and they said nothing will take it off it will wear off in 3-4 days. So not only is my truck not have any paint down there but we have black/green hands full of build up for a while. We primed it all and tomorrow or some day were going to cut it all out and put some sheet metal in there. Covered with fiberglass sand and bedline. So after an extentisively long out thought process it failed. So if you have a bad rust problem the only thing you can do is do it the correct way and how it should be done.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Freemans 00

on the plus side I got my Ranger forum decals put on and the bull bar taken off to install the lights

4. Pics? And that's a serious FAIL right there lol

5. OP
    Freemans 00

yeah lol it sucks and picks of what? ranger decals?

6. The rockers lol

7. OP
    Freemans 00

8. Ouch.... Yeah, sheet metal is the way to go lol

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

you can use the foam it just takes a while for it to solidify.... i think it takes around 24 hrs but after it does you can shave an contour it and then use some fiberglass over it to make it smooth and then prime and paint....

10. OP
    Freemans 00

But not when its pouring out of thats gigantique hole I have, or the factory ones lol

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

The pic of the foam made me lol

12. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Try some acetone (fingernail polish remover) to get that stuff off, it won't smell good but it should help.

That's what I use to remove the polyurethane glues I use.

13. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

could alway's do like my one co-worker does to patch his '74 dart back togeather every year, newspaper, chicken wire & bondo! lol :D

honestly i think if it was me i would paint the rockers with POR15 to keep them from rusting more, and just hand form a patch panel & pop rivet it on. or if you wanted to get serious hand form a patch panel, cut out the rust and weld the patch in.

14. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Been there done that bud! **** is horrible to remove from your hands.

A tip for the expanding foam is ceran wrap or wax paper. Tape it under the door and under the rocker.

15. OP
    Freemans 00

I used finger nail polish and gas with some other stuff its not coming off lol. Just gonna have to wait till it peels. And idk if I want to go buy more and ceran wrap the hole then spray more in I may just try a patch over it and fiberglass.