RFnet First Look: Airbag Switch LED Mod (ky)

Discussion in 'Ranger Forum Classifieds' started by buggman, Apr 16, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Yep, another buggman led mod.

I have to give a shout out to Darksyde (member on another forum) who first came to me with this idea a while back and to Hooligan for finding me an extra switch to work on.

This is a pretty easy mod that should take less than 5 minutes to complete.

The stock airbag switch has a regular bulb with a colored filter that is known to burn out & cause trouble codes. This mod will not only allow you to remedy those trouble codes, but you can now color match your airbag switch indicator with the rest of your lighting scheme!

First you'll need to remove your airbag switch housing from the truck. Just a couple screws holding things in place.

Once you have it out of the truck, it will look something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the back side there will be a couple little plastic tabs or clips that hold the top onto the bottom part. Use a small screwdriver, knife or whatever you have that will get in there to press the tabs so they'll snap out.

[​IMG]

After you have the top off, you'll see the connector & PCB inside.
    Gently pull up on the connector & the assembly will pop right out.

[​IMG]

Now here's where the mod comes into play.

First you'll notice how the wires to the bulb are bent at a 90* angle.

[​IMG]

You'll need to bend them both straight up.
    [​IMG]

Next you'll need to cut the wires as close to the BULB as possible, leaving the wires long on the PCB.

[​IMG]

Next you'll need to bend the wires inward to make them look like this.

[​IMG]

You're basically making the wires closer together yet parallel with each other for the next step.

Install the led mod to the old bulb wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully future versions will look a little better than this one which is a prototype.
    No "ON" pics, I think you can imagine what a blue led looks like :thumbup1: But it's a LOT brighter than that dinky little bulb could even think about being.

As you'll see the led is facing towards the little clear window in the housing. There will be a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the led if needed, but don't go too wild or you may snap one of the wires on the PCB. :thumbdown:

Once the led mod is pressed all the way down or as far down as it will go, I'd recommend adding a drop of glue to the led mod & PCB just to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose in the future.

After the led mod is installed & glued in place, re-attach the top & re-install in the truck, don't forget to plug the connector in the back.

Turn the switch on/off (have to alternate using the key here & in the ignition) and make sure the led is working & you're done.

I'll be doing this led mod in my usual host of colors: Red, White, Blue, Green, Yellow & Orange.

Special Introductory RFnet pricing:

$8.00 each FREE shipping in the USA.

I'm not 100% sure if all Rangers use this exact same airbag switch, but this is the one I'm familiar with. If you have a different switch & would like this mod, feel free to let me know & I'll see what I can come up with. :thumbsup:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Yet another invention by the buggman! Dude, you're making my mod list grow every time with these things lol I want, but can't afford. :( This summer hopefully if I still have the truck.

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Hell yeah!! Thats a killer price! ME wants one!