replacing shocks.

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by mcdonald58, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i figured i might as well make the first post in the suspension thread. how often do you guys recommend replacing the shocks. i looked at mine and they arent loooking good all rusted (like the whole underbody).

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I would think a safe bet at replacing them is about 50k, I have seen them go longer but sometimes it depends on the brand of shocks themselves and their recommendations

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thats what i was thinking. i thought i remembered that on a sign in my schools shop. how hard are they to replace? maybe ill do them next year in my trans tech class.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

There ya go!

6. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

theyre really easy to replace man. just unbolt them basically and bolt in the new lol. i did mine last spring. dont use an impact to tighten them!! idk wtf i was thinking and i snapped one of the studs the nut screws on. drilling it out sucked but its all good! they arent under pressure/tension so you dont have to worry about it like coils.

7. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I think the recommended cycle is 50k. But......STOCK SHOCKS SUCK!!!!!! You'll wanna update/upgrade them anyway.

You can never go wrong with a set of Bilstein Heavy Dutys.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Bilstein-...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae5e2b463#ht_2768wt_1396

The two single best things you could ever do to a car/truck is tires and shocks. Yeah they're a little more spendier than going with normal run of the mill shocks, but at about $10-15 more a shock, you're get ALOT more shock for the little added cost.

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright i looked up some videos and they look pretty easy to do. what do you guys think of the rancho shocks.

9. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

oh wow ummmm, i still have stock shocks and almost have 100xxx miles on it

10. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

after posting this thread and realizing im getting pretty close to 50,000. i notice my shocks are heavily rusted. here are some pics.
    this one also concerns me because the top part is starting to rust through
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the one that really concerns me. it looks as though the top part has rusted off completly. there was part of it on the bottom of the shock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can i still wait till next fall or do i have to do these asap?

11. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

this!

12. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Wow, I would do that now.

13. I would not wait do it now

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

15. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Yeahhhhhhhh get on that. You'll thank all of us when you do!

You sure it's not 250k? THANK GOD I don't live in rust country!

If your undercarriage looks like that, take a good look at your rear spring shackles and hangers. As well as your cab mounts. All these are common eat areas on Rangers in rust country.

The first pic isn't really much of a deal....most shocks have simple boots where yours have sheetmetal tubes protecting the shaft. Me, bare shafts yo. Bitches love bare shafts. Makes 'em look bigger.

Word!

16. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea im really worried about the truck i think its going to turn into a money pit. i wish i craweled under the truck to look at the under carriage when i was looking to buy it.

17. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

what are the brands of shocks that you guys recommend? also are the springs next to them called coils. i think i have to replace those also they are pretty rusted.

18. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

20. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I personally LOVE this idea. BUT...take a look at the description of what you linked: coil spacers, blocks, U-bolts. None of those replace anything that's rusted but the bolts that mount the axle and springs together. I vote for what the picture in the link shows: springs, add-a-leaf, and shocks. Look for a different kit. Something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SJA-132K/

But in all reality, your undercarriage isn't that bad. You don't need to spend and extra $250 on springs and an add-a-leaf unless you intend to lift it. If you lift it, you'll need new shocks anyway. So might as well go do it if you wanted to lift it.

Remember, like I said earlier, check your leaf spring shackles and hangers on the frame. Also check your cab mount perches off the frame. These are very common rust spots on these trucks in the rust belt region of the country.

21. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea i just saw that the picture dosent include shocks. i chatted a Representative and he confirmed that it dosent contain. im going to skip the lift for now since i am only 2wd and i dont have that much money.