Redo

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by DesrtRanger87, Jan 28, 2013.

1. DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

Okay as some of you my know i was able to by my old ranger back. The bad part of that is the motor was blown. While i am still driving my jeep i get to fix alot if stuff i didnt have time to do in the past. This weekend i put a new motor in it and took out the seats carpet and head liner. They were all torn up i found a few surface rust spots in the cab nothing big cleaned them up. I am now thinking about running bucket seats with a full center consel. Would the explore consel fit? Also will a 06+ bed fit on my 93 ranger? I will post picks this week sometime of the work done this far. Also if have a post about tires i seen a set of tires i like Cooper Discover STT i did some reserch on them and only seen one bad review that was for a diffrent size tire then i plan to run.. To get other opions the front axle is blown aswell im having a little debate with my self on a sas conversion or just putting the ttb dana 35 back in any thought would be great.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

OK on getting the old truck back, good feeling sometimes unless the other guys beat the $hit ouut of it !

From what I know about the modes and it is from mostly reading about them.

Full Length Console - it is just from an Explorer and done many times. There is a full length console from a Tremor but it is actually two halves, the back is a std shorty console and the front is special design to house an amp and it is usually in black (nice). If you can find a tremor type is will be worth some extra bucks. I run the shorty console but the one from the Explorer Sport that has a removal carrier in the center instead of the standard compartment, I also got an extra carrier for my camera equipment, just switch the carrier for what ever I intend to do.

The Bed - any bed from 93 to present will work. IN ’98 there was a cab change but not in the bed. My ’03 EDGE is running a Steppie from the mid ninety’s. We all know the downfalls in changing the bed, the bolts and the filler neck and RUST. For the bolts spray a rust buster on the bolt from underneath at least two or three times before starting. There is a good chance that your filler neck will have a crack in it, check it out while the bed is off, far easier to replace then. Also RUST on the frame, where does your frame stand ! Clean up and rust proofing will make it look good but how much rust-through the frame is there, is there any thin spots, they all need to be addressed when the bed is off and you have the time to get it done.

SAS - I too am thinking on the SAS but we need to think about what we will be doing with our truck and what others do with their OEM Diff setups. Other than the hubs the OEM Diff has faired well in DD and light off roading, which is where I will be. SAS will look good but if done too high creates more situations that will need to be dealt with, i.e. spring, axle choices, steering box - toyota seems to be the most used, and then you get the track bar and the correct angle of mounting and the steering rods and pitman arm. There are a lot of the SAS's out there so info is available but just putting some thoughts out.

Good Luck on your choices.

4. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

Thanks for the input very helpful. Its good to know the beds are interchangeable i like the look of the newer bed with no fender flares on them. Yeah the guy beat the $hit out of it when he had it. As far as the frame it looks good when i owned it prior to him i cleaned the frame up and put a under coat on it ( going to redo it again). Also replaced to filler neck. Idk the conditiond of the bed bolts tho. Are the rear lights the same as far as socked holes? As for the SAS, Its going to be my DD with light off-roading. Thats where im a little hesitant in doing the swap.

5. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I do not know about the sockets for sure BUT in my case using a mid 90’s steppie bed in place of a style side i replaced the OEM ’03 tails with what I thought was ’03 LED Tails but had to mod the light socket to get the bulb to turn enough to lock so I guess that is something to think about.

I think you should be able to reuse the tail lights you now have, they should be the same.

Bed bolts need to be sprayed prior to attempting to remove them. They HAVE rusted for sure, just spray some on from the bottom and all around the spring nut.

The SAS to me is almost a must but I am having trouble telling myself it is the right thing to do with how I drive.
    I want one so I guess it will happen just not as fast as I might want it to.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

Yeah lol sas would be nice maybe my next one i will do it as a toy but this one im going for a nice clean looking truck. Yeah i have PB blaster i will spary once a week this week til this weekend when i get to mess with it more. So what else do you have done to your ranger

7. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

SuperLift with coil over shocks.
    Hurst shifter with longer shift stick and homemade plate to move the stick closer and higher still.
    Not a lot but working on a couple of things.

8. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

How does the coil over perform and ride quality? So i called around today to a few places we get body parts and other things from they want 1500 for a 06+ bed that is crazy i guess i will be doing the body work myself on that lol. They dont guarentee the condition of the body parts either. I was looking into getting coil overs also.

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Ride is great, I think I Have the 750 lbs coils.
    Handles better in the curves too.

Ther must be a bed in your area for sale.

10. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

Yeah i jave a few junk yards around here going to go check them this weekend probably.

11. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

If you find a 2WD 95 to 03 ranger and it has a Radio Bezel that has only a cig lighter and it cost less than $20, buy it for me please.

Ltr

12. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

okay np i plan on going out there on saturday.

13. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

So today at the body shop next door i seen a set of race seats i asked the owner a good friend of mine what the plans were with them, he said $50 and you can have them. Good score the seats are in almost new condition came out of a mustang they picked up a month or so ago and are restoring. I plan in dying them black tho because they are blue right now and they dont match my truck.

14. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

I found one of those radio bezels with the cig lighter but it was cracked. I found a few beds in good shape out there also they only want 200-250 for a complete bed witch i think is a good deal.

15. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I found a couple also all with the rear alignment pins broken off. Appears no one know how to remove a Radio Bezel…

Depending on the condition of the bed then $250 sounds good.

I sold a really good styleside bed a couple of years back, got $400 for just the bed, no tail gate, no lights.

Good luck with it.

16. OP
    DesrtRanger87

DesrtRanger87 New Member

Yeah they were bad condition lol. Yeah the one bed i seen was in good condition no huge dents or scratches diffrent color then my truck but i need a new paint job lol. And i decided to go with 3in bulge front fenders ( i grew up in the desert of cali) so i am very attracted to that look when i get them on i will post pics. So where did you pick your coil overs up from and if you dont mind what did you pay?