Ranger bed trailer!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redneck_ranger, May 12, 2012.

1. Okay, I know what I want to work on this summer.... A trailer made from the back half of a Ranger! Probably gonna use my bed and get a new one that's not starting to rust out. Anyone on here ever done it before? I was looking on the Dakota forum and it's so cool to have one that matches the truck. Good idea?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ob269

ob269 New Member

Yeah I've seen it. I think you gotta start w a trailer frame though, cause how else do you get it registered as a trailer?

I have seen though, on my old bmw forum, a guy made an exact copy of the back half of his bmw, rims, tires, muffler, tails, everything. Looked great and id think if you did the same for your truck it would be pretty bad ass..

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Idk. I'll have to look into that. I know guys have made them out of the truck itself and just sealed off the rear diff.

Lol 3" body lifted trailer with bedliner and a roll bar. Hahahahahahahahahahaha win!

5. build your own frame and it willbe a a home made titled trailer

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

there's actually a ranger bed trailer out i pass heading out near carlisle. the guy uses the crap out of it.

7. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

The idea is something I had thought about but have too many other projects.
    Camping would be nice with trailer to pack it all in, you could even get one of those Bed-Tents with a extended cabin area, really homey.

It would seem logical to build a frame the dimensions of the Bed you will be using based on the mounting points and supports of that bed. Put in some cross members, drill some holes and you got it. Get an axle setup for the weight you want/need and the same wheel bolt pattern as the truck so you can run the same wheels/tires and have an extra spare if needed.

Sounds like a great idea, write it up if you do it.

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

most of the truck bed trailers i've seen used the trucks stock frame with a trailer tongue welded or bolted to the front, and eather a trailer axle or just the stock diff in place. my buddie had one sitting on his property for YEARS that was made from a 1960's chevy bed.

9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I was just gonna cut the frame off the back of a truck and seal off the rear differential, and go from there. This way I don't need to tinker with building an entire frame and worrying about the moutning points.

10. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Hurley made one out of his old ranger! His fathers a welder, they took off the cab and fenders and cut and Bent the frame into a v where they welded on a hitch ball receiver. Its sweet, its got the stock 7.5 under it, all he did was disconnect the drive shaft. I'll ask him for some pics of it.

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Please do! That's what I was planning on doing!

12. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Sorry but I don't have any pics of it. The best I got is the pics of the blue truck in my garage, you can see it in the background of the pic. Do what Travis said. Cut and weld the frame to make an "A" shape. Be sure to weld a toolbox or something towards the tongue because there is like no weight to hold the front down. We just sold ours for $300 so I can't take any pics

13. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Hey,
    How did this turn out… ?
    I was just rereading the posts and was wondering, actually looking for Frame Dimensions for an 03 std cab, short bed.
    What axle did you use ?
    What frame… I still don’t like the OEM Frame for the project but if it works !

14. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

yeah it works for the axle you can use the stock diff I have helped make a couple of them.....

15. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I would think with the Stock axle there would be more friction and it wouldn’t be as easy to pull.

Either way, luck with the project.

16. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

never heard of a problem and there are a chit load around here from where ppl make them all the time.... I know of one that's at least 25 yrs old granted it's not a ranger but it made the exact same way.