Radio question! need help

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by 01rangerXLT, May 14, 2012.

1. 01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

i got a poineer dvd head unit from a buddy, i was wondering if id have to buy a wiring harness for it or can i just take the wires from the stock radios and splice them with my new radio?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Get the harness. They are color coded and sooooo easy to hook up instead of trying to match up the head unit wires to the truck wiring. eBay has them dirt cheap and mine was at my door 4 days after I made the purchase.

4. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

ok thanks...how much was yours?

5. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

just found one for 5 bucks, gunna buy it

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Sweet deal man... Do it up!!

7. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Well worth the money. Just plug it into the truck harness & splice the radio wires to the harness, no cutting the stock wires & you can change back super easy.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

i went to my local best buy they wanted 20 bucks for one, screw that. i gotta get a wiring harness for my radio too cuz its a pioneer dvd one

9. buggman

THIS one might work, not sure about the newer trucks though.

Crutchfield has them as well, but they're likely more expensive.

10. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

thanks, i need one for a pioneer avh-p5700dvd. i cant seem to find one. the radio has one already on it but the guy says i need another one. its really confusing

11. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

the radio comes with half of the harness. the half it comes with plugs into the radio itself. you then buy the other half of the harness that plugs into the factory wiring. you connect the two halves, plug everything in, and boom.

12. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

yeah thats what the guy told me, he said to look on ebay or amazon, and i can only find the part that plugs into the radio not the other half of it.. do you have something like this radio?

13. doyouquaxu

14. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

no the guy told me i need one that connects to the one on this radio and then connects to the ranger wiring. he said i got to buy two

15. buggman

Did the radio come with the plug-in connector... the one that plugs into the pioneer?

If so, you should only need the "truck" side connector.

You'll connect the speaker/power/ground wires from the pioneer connector to the new "truck" connector & plug them into their respective ports.
    If you have the built in amp in the truck that needs to be bypassed or connected to, you may need an additional connector.

Most times, the "truck" side connector is all you'll need. There will be a ground, +12v constant, +12v key switched, amp/antenna remote & the 8 speaker wires.
    If you're not using the pioneer to power any speakers, ie. using an external amplifier, you don't even have to connect the speaker wires.
    I just re-re-re-re did mine with a new dvd head unit & all I had to connect from the head unit to truck connector were the power, remote, ground & key switched power.

16. doyouquaxu

so does the radio have a harness that plugs into the back of it, or a bunch of wires coming out the back?

if yes, then you only need a harness to adapt to the stock ranger wiring harness. in that case, click the link i posted earlier and buy one of those.

17. OP
    01rangerXLT

01rangerXLT New Member

thanks guys, i went to my local advance and bought a wiring harness and a dash kit cost me 28 bucks total. it ended up the best buy guy was trying to screw me out of my money