radiator fan swap mechanical to electric

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by MPGranger, Jul 3, 2012.

1. MPGranger

MPGranger New Member

So my buddy had to replace his radiator, his 2001 ranger just started spouting on the way to work. But I was impressed by how simple the procedure was, I am low on technical know-how (but trying to gain some). So being a very cheap person, I want to save some gas by switching the radiator fan over to an electrical fan. I have heard that old Taurus's have the set up I need, 2 electric fans that fit onto my radiator.

But, doesn't the mech fan and the water pump run off the same pulley? So I wouldn't actually be reducing the load off my timing belt (the point of the mod). Or does the Taurus fan upgrade include an electric water pump.

I obviously don't want to start tearing off pieces and break something too expensive. My plans are for economy mods that also have the nice side affect of reducing power attrition from the engine to the road. So anything that eliminates things off the timing belt or anything that reduces rolling resistance such as lower viscosity fluids (but still recommended by the manufactorer).

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. jack7236

jack7236 New Member

I don't think it worth it! you might gain 1 - 1 1/2