Quick Question About BLs

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by El Camino Man, Mar 21, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Hey guys. I am debating making my own body lift out of some nylon round stock but I need to know what the diameter of a standard BL is. Anyone know?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I wouldnt go that route dude. You might make the spacers, but you also needlonger body bolts with washers, bumper relocating brackets, steering extension, fuel filler extension, rad support extension etc. So if you did it yourself, you would end up probably paying out more than a kit

4. ^x2 get the kit save time, money and frustration

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Just get the kit it's alot easier than trying to locate everything to make the kit and probably alot cheaper in the long run.

6. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

please do not make ur own u will crash and die

7. OP
    El Camino Man

doyo... somethin rather made his own and he is still alive lol

8. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

well u can but its better with the warrenty if they have one still for the kit and it has everything there already and its only like 100 bucks on ebay and 200 on summit or jegs

9. but if you are really wanting to sell or trade I would not do it to it. some like the bl some not so much. so why waste the money, send me some money I can draw you an artist rendition of what it can look like small fee of $1000.00 As I will need some art classes first lol good luck with whatever you do with it.

10. Just buy the kit JP. It's so much easier

11. OP
    El Camino Man

but expensive!

12. Hardly. You spend more for a single 33x12.50x18 tire.

13. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

this!!!

14. OP
    El Camino Man

Who needs a 33x12.50 R18 tire? Lol

15. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

He was just trying to prove a point at the in-expensiveness of a body lift kit. I agree with all these guys. Why try to build your own, that could fail on you (not saying anything about you) when they have kits already with everything needed? As far as lifting, it is very reasonable in price, considering other types of lifts like suspension are 1000's of dollars. I also agree with craig, if you are still planning on getting rid of this vehicle, why put more money into it?

16. OP
    El Camino Man

If I go as far as to jack it up and such then Ill definitly keep it lol. Im to the point now where I feel guilty when driving through a dealership

17. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

So spend the little amount $$ on a lift kit and do it! If you do, you wont regret keeping your truck. Much easier than having to fab up all the brackets and extensions, especially the steering wheel extension. I wouldn't trust myself fabbing one up.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  18. You would need that tire if you got the body lift. Especially if you keep the Shelby wheels. Tires get more expensive as the rim size gets bigger. Anyways, the body lift is the cheapest option out there... and it costs a tiny bit more than a new muffler and tailpipe installed.

19. OP
    El Camino Man

I sold the rims :/ I wanted money lol. Now Im thinking about going to a 15 inch rim just because theyre sooooo cheap!!

I also think if I do go ahead and jack it up and nice rims and tires, I couldnt even force myself to sell that beauty lol. Photoshop, here I come!!!

20. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

Good man. I went with 15 in wheels since it was cheaper and the wheels I got for a steal.

21. OP
    El Camino Man

Yup. I always wanted to go to another 18 inch chrome rim but they were $200-$250 a piece!! You can get a generic 15" chrome rim off Summit for less than $100 lol.

Then theres tires... 18s are RIDICULOUS! 15s are cheaper than dirt lol