questions about roll on bedliner..

Discussion in 'Interior' started by ob269, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ob269

ob269 New Member

So I plan on using one of the roll on bed liners (not sure on which brand yet, hoping for recommendations) for my bed and rollbar. But I also though about using it on my fender flares.. what's your thoughts on that? How would it work out?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You can use Herculiner for the bed, but I suggest a spray on bed liner for the roll bar and flares, it will come out better.

4. Rangeredgewhite

Rangeredgewhite Ranger>Tacoma

duplicolor sells a kit for 100$ and make sure you dont get any in the paint! lol

5. Rangeredgewhite

and x2 rustoleum sells a spray on bedliner 8$ a can

6. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

What do you mean by 'dont get any in the paint' ??

7. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

What about prepwork? I know for the metal they say scuff w the green brillo pad thing, but what about plastics?

8. Rangeredgewhite

sorry no bedliner on the paint and no prep needed for that application as far as spray goes i dont know about roll on

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I've used 3 different brands of the roll on kind and I will ONLY use Herculiner from now on for in the bed. On the rocker's I would use Duplicolor w/ Kevlar

10. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Alright thanks Clinton; seems to be the consensus..

Okay, any idea on how many cans I would want for the rollbar/4 fenders?

Oh, duh. I guess if it wasn't 2 in the morning I probably would have figured that out..

Awesome thanks Brad, I will go with the Herculiner.. Do I use the whole gallon for my bed?

11. Brinker88

I used about 3/4 of a gallon in a stepside. Use 40 grit sandpaper on a drill adapter. Dont use the little pad it comes with. It's junk. You need DEEP scratches in the metal for this stuff to stick properly.

12. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Ah, makes sense.. Did you use the roller for the big areas n then just a paint brush to get the corners n such? Also is is multiple thin layers or is it one big goopy layer?

13. Brinker88

Multiple thin layers is a must. Use the roller that comes with the kit. Its a special one and the brush for the tight spots. The thing with this stuff is you have to go one direction on one coat and go the opposite direction on the other coat. Better adhesion for some reason. Do a minimum of 3 light coats. FYI it tends to fade after a couple years so I would get some semi gloss clear or something to slow that process down.

14. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

this thread is interesting. Most guys are dead se tagainst any roll on liner because they chip and stuff. I just think they didnt prep well enough.

And 40 grit seems a bit rough lol. Wont that that take the paint and everything clean off?

15. Brinker88

40 grit WILL take the paint off. You need to cut through ALL the clear coat and get into the metal a bit.

16. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

well that's cool then. I will definately be doing this here in a couple months..

17. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I'm not sure how the 40 grit works, I never used it. The roll on liner kits usually come with the scuff pad you need so the only other thing you would have to buy is Xylene

18. Brinker88

Ah yes! THANK you clinton! Wax & grease remover is another MUST

19. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Okay so scuff up the bed, degreaser everything, wait for it to dry, thin layer from front to back, wait for it to dry, thin layer from back to front, wait for it to dry, thin layer from front to back, wait for it to dry and then maybe a 4th layer if enough left over..

20. Brinker88

You got it, Joe!

21. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

If you feel like road tripping I will help dude