Question on engines for 84 ranger

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by fatredneck, Apr 26, 2009.

1. fatredneck

fatredneck New Member

k i have a 1984 ranger 4x4 with an 8.4 liter thats messed up, the guy i got it from took it out and bashed the hell out of it! and blew the engine! the tranny is in good shape and it has an ok clutch! are there any other engines that will fit that tranny and in the truck that will bolt up with out fabrication and if i did have to get another tranny what kind and would it bolt in to my truck? the tranny and transfer case are pulled by the way!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. WesternPaRanger

WesternPaRanger New Member

um.........no, you do not have an 8.4 liter in your '84 Ranger........although if you do I'd love to see it........... You might have a 2.8 that is a solid lift v-6 usually only found in Ford Capris and I don't think that anything else bolts up to it.

4. OP
    fatredneck

fatredneck New Member

oh yupp sorry it is a 2.8 typeo!!!! and its a 5 speed!! haha that would be a sight if it was a 8.4 liter!! but so there aint not nothin that will bold up to that??

5. WesternPaRanger

WesternPaRanger New Member

I'm not positive but I don't think so. I love those 2.8's and I know that as of a couple years ago you could still buy them reman. I know this because my dad sold his 84 to a guy that let his son run it into the ground and blew the motor so the guy took it back, put in a new motor, had it painted and I think he takes it to shows now.

6. brent84

brent84 New Member