probably a dumb question but here goes....

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by klinger86, Dec 31, 2011.

1. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

ok when you lift the rear of your truck with shackles do you have to recenter the rearend on the leaf springs or do you leave it where it's at? I know i can be a dumbass at times.....

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i didnt touch the axle when i put the shackles on my truck

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You dont need to touch anything below 4" of suspension lift. Afte that, you really should put shims under your leaves to readjust your pinion angle on the axle.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

When you use lift shackles, you are lifting the body while keeping the leafs in the same position. Everything stays the same, the shackle is what gives you more height.

6. OP
    klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

that's what i thought but wasnt sure.....

7. Brinker88

Actually, clinton, that's not true at all. It flattens the spring out quite a bit. It doesnt lift the body at all. It's a suspension lift/mod. :thumbup:

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I know the springs flatten out, the rear goes up. I meant the spring position on the rear axle stays the same, where you dont have to adjust anything where the leaf pack meets the axle itself

9. Brinker88

Ah, ok. You'll be fine doing a 2" shackle lift. Anything over that and you'll start breaking leaves real quick. It puts a lot of tension on them. I learned that when I installed them on my bro's jeep. Broke 3 out of 4 leaf springs in less than 6 months.