Photos and drop update

Discussion in 'Ranger Media' started by SalRanger2, Mar 16, 2012.

1. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

took some pics tonight, thought id update too on it for what all else is to be done for my lowering kit. I've been spraying all the bolts down to get ready. hopefully doing it the first couple weeks of April!!

will need new rear leaf brackets.
    this one looks like it was replaced once and its actually in not so hot shape...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this one im on the fence on, dont remember what the side toward the back of the truck looks like
    [​IMG]

the front brackets look good so wont have to replace them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and ill reuse the u bolts too, didnt think i would so thats good too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

little rusty diff cover...might get a new one...
    [​IMG]

control arms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

warshed her the other day
    [​IMG]

2.5 liters of fury
    [​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You cleaned up that rust nice man. Are you sealing the frame while its apart?

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Go ahead and replace both spring brackets. It'll be alot easier with all the tension off the springs. And def coat the frame with something to help stop rust.

5. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

i actually didnt touch the rust but thanks! lol but yea ive thought about doing something like that but if id do it id just get what i could of the rust, but it would still rust underneath the coating. just my thoughts on it so ill probly leave it

6. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

u guys think those front brackets look good?

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

If you put a rust inhibitor on it wont. It seals it all off

8. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

ive used the rust inhibitor on my door and around the cab corners. last fall i used a die grinding wheel with sand discs and got it cleaned off tp where it would be pitted and black. put the rust inhibitor on (eastwood stuff you brush on) and primed, color, cleared it. its all coming through this spring.

9. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Get it done son!!!

10. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Looks good. FWIW, cut the u-bolts off. SO much easier than trying to unbolt them. Plus the *pop!* noise is awsome :D

Your kit will come with new u-bolts. If it doesnt, get NEW ones.

11. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

lol ik man im chompin at the bit

thanks!
    yea i was really thinking of getting new but my dad thinks they should be fine. the kit doesnt come with them, they just say to re-use them

12. Get new ones man. It'll save you a lot of headache in the future.

13. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea ill have to see man, gonna talk with my dad hes got a place i could get them from

14. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

ok so ive got some more questions...

so... i have to take off the spindle, tie rod ends, swaybar endlinks and get that out of the way to get to the coils. Correct?

so to get the coils out i have to compress the spring probably? it seems like theres not a whole lot of room but thats what has to be done correct?

also, does the lower control arm have to be disconnected or can just undo the upper one after the coil is compressed and just have the lower hang?

thanks guys.

also, on the front leaf spring hangers, is that a special ford only bolt since it has to fit right into the sleeve in the bushing? my dad brought this up because on my other 91 ranger the bolts for the mirrors were one of a kind size not metric or standard made by some company for ford and he had to special order them. sounds totally wacky but thats what it was. were thinking its gonna be rusted to the sleeve and just wanted to know what to get. dont want them to be loose and make noise

15. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

When Brent and I changed my springs out the only thing that came out was the spring. He didn't even use a compressor!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

16. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

this should help you with the coil removal....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1akqSJE0ss[/ame]

17. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

thanks for the info! yea i actually went on FRF and looked through your threads and found info on it too lol. RPS had alot on doing it

thanks! i was wondering if there was a vid on it, it helps a little more to see it than just written words.

18. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Yw man all u gotta go is strip it down to the spindle and the control arms them place a jack under which ever control arm your working on take the lower ball joint loose and slowly lower the jack until its all the way down and you should be able to remove the spring. To replace the spring use the jack to raise the lower control arm and slide the ball joint back in the spindle replace the nut tighten and coter pin it and replace everything else and the. Switch to the other side and your good to go.

19. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

sweet thanks! yea im glad ive got a wayy better understanding of it now

20. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well im gonna give you guys a update on what other parts i ordered:
    -upper and lower ball joints
    -energy suspension poly control arm bushings
    -leaf spring bushings
    -camber bolts

also will be getting new leaf spring brackets from the dealer too.

so pumped! this stuff i got cost me like $250 tho ha...

21. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well ive been rounding up my parts, thought id take some pics...

new balljoints(got all 4)
    [​IMG]

camber bolt(yep ive got 4)
    [​IMG]

poly control arm bushings from Energy Suspension
    [​IMG]

leaf spring bushings
    [​IMG]

new rear leaf spring frame bracket and hardware
    [​IMG]

just need new lower control arm bolts since a few of them look like the threads are bad from the salt. other than that i think i should be set.
    alot more to get than just coils and a flip kit to lower your truck...lol