P1443 Very Low Idle

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by luteplayers, May 28, 2012.

1. luteplayers

luteplayers New Member

My check engine light came on for a bit a few times, then came on and wouldn't go out. Got an ODBII reader and got P1443 as the only code. Before getting the replacement Purge Valve and Solenoid, it started to not keep an idle, I had to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running at a stop. Replaced those two parts, but still have the idle problem.

I got interrupted by a rear brake issue (separate post), but now that the brakes are fixed, I am back on the idle issue. Searching around I stumbled across IAC, and MAF as possible issues. If I disconnect the MAF, it still has the very low idle issue. Took the IAC off and cleaned it with carb cleaner, no change. I have replaced the air filter as well.

I got the P1443 cleared but haven't been able to drive it enough to see if the CEL comes back on. Although it is a 97, it only has 73K on it. Need to get it running so I can get it inspected.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Your egr valve might be stuck open or stuck closed. Try taking that off and cleaning it. Also it may be your plugs and wires

4. ^ or a coil pack (or distributor if they still have em on those trucks)

5. OP
    luteplayers

luteplayers New Member

Thanks, more stuff for me to check. If this truck was a computer I could have it fixed in no time. Not much of a mechanic though.

6. It's all electronically controlled lol Still an engine though. Good luck. Come on back and let us know if you found/fixed the issue!

7. mac_

mac_ New Member

the infamous gen3 2.3 p1443 engine code. this is common, but usually doesn't contribute to low idle, as far as i've seen. i think you have two separate problems.

click on this and read through, i also linked a link in this link (lol) that you should read through.
    http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=132957