oil?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeanMk, Jun 15, 2012.

1. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Hey guys,

So I've had the truck for about 2.5 months and I wanna do and O&F on her, but what do I use?
    Synth or regular?
    What weight?
    How much? 5 quarts?
    ...guess I'm really asking what does the factory say this thing should live on.

Dean
    P.S. She's gettin' real close to 150k, but purrs like a kitten. Looks and drives like new. No leaks.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

The factory calls for 5 quarts of 5w30. I changed over to synthetic 5w30, starting with valvoline synthetic BLEND to clean out the gummy crap in the engine, then went to the full synthetic. If you have your ownes manual it will tell you all your fluid capacities and recommended change intervals. If you chose an oil, I recommend staying with the same brand from there on out. As far as filters go, I use motorcraft (found at Walmart) and have since I got the truck.

You will hear alot of opinions on what oil and filter to use. Whatever you chose, just keep the change intervals the same and as I recommended, use the same brand oil.

4. BBLoom

BBLoom BBLoom

I did the same thing as Hooligan except I use Castrol oil and Fram filters. I find it takes just 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 quarts, hence the reason for half empty oil quarts in my garage :p

5. cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

purolator filters....pennzoil sytnetic high mileage, 10w30 for this guy.

6. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Hey thanks a BUNCH guys.
    Really appreciate the comments.
    I kinda figured it was 5 quarts, as the engine's just a stroked 2.3 with larger ports in the head, but sometimes things change, so its good to ask.
    I looked through the owner's manual but found nothing. I'll look again, but I've heard similar comments over the recent years.
    I think maybe the factories are omitting similar info, in order to put more money in their pockets (JMHO).

My plan was to run 5 quarts of diesel fuel through the engine first, then replace with whatever oil I'm supposed to use and a NAPA 1551 filter.
    I've had good luck with NAPA filters for many years now, and the price is usually pretty good, so there's no reason to change.

...and, just to clarify, are you guys saying its ok to use regular motor oil in my '98, or MUST I use synthetic?

Dean

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

in my 98 i run valvoline sae 30(aka hp 30) and have no problem with it... i also use a stp at every oil change.... not had any problems with it. i also use stp/napa filters. which ever is cheaper when i go to change the oil.

8. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

You need high mileage oil I think its 10w 30 filter really doesnt matter. 5 quarts and your good, although Id suggest buying some Lucas oil treatment that always helps and its a bit pricey but well worth the money

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Diesel?

You can use regular oil as long as you want, and its 5w30. You dont NEED synthetic oil, I prefer it as most people do. I would recommend a decent high mileage oil though and running a Synthetic BLEND, as it is not full synthetic. The blend has certain detergents that will wash out/remove built up residue created by long running engines. I do recommend picking one brand and just using that, such as Valvoline, Castrol etc.

Dean[/quote]

10. maranger

maranger New Member

Hey BBLoom if i was you i would go back to using ford filters, ive seen too many ppl use fram filters and that was the deth of their engine. i worked at a ford dealer for 2 years n had to replace a few engines cause of those filters

11. RiverRanger22

RiverRanger22 Member

I use amsoil synthetic oil with my truck. Don't need to make oil changes until every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. It's just pretty darn expensive but well worth it IMO

12. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

napa filters are WIX filters.

Also i use valvoline full synthetic 10w-30

13. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Hey guys,

Well, I went to NAPA the other day and found that they happened to be having an "oil change special" going on, so I went for it.
    $20 got me 5 quarts of Valvoline 10W-30 (regular) and what appears to be something similar to the old "Napa Silver" filter (21516).
    Oil change went like clockwork and truck's been running fine.
    Gave me a chance to look underneath, too and this baby is CLEAN! :thumbup:

...btw, for the person who asked about cleaning an engine with diesel fuel (I decided to skip that process, btw, because I'm just too dam lazy...and cheap), this is an old "trick" and uses two filters.
    Diesel, like gasoline, makes a pretty good solvent, but diesel does a much better job of lubricating than gasoline, thus the usage of diesel.
    Drain the engine oil and remove the old filter.
    Replace the plug, install one of the new filters and pour in the same amount of diesel, as you would oil, PLUS ONE EXTRA QUART (ensures against cavitation).
    Start engine and run for about a minute. You can blip the throttle once or twice if you want, but its ok to just let it idle, too.
    Stop engine, drain diesel, swap that filter for the other new one, fill with oil.
    Inside of engine will be cleaner than when you started.

...btw 2.0 - for the person using STP in their engine.
    That's fine to do and will help keep the engine running longer, but make sure to have some nose plugs on hand, if you ever rebuild that engine.
    ...however, it also works well in tranny's (that take gear lube and not ATF) and drive gears.

Dean

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  14. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Quick update: Changed oil since this was posted and had a Ford dealership do it.
    They put 5W-20 in.
    The 10W-30 made the engine feel sluggish, and tshe 5W-20 seem to create some spotting around the engine.
    With another oil change just around the corner, I'll take the advice of the board and use 5W-30.

Dean

15. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

You need to run what the book calls for.

My 2003, 3.0L, runs 5-20 and if it gets 10-30 or 20-40 it start to get loud.

One shop did it for me and they used their Barrel Oil, even though I TOLD them to use a 5-20 oil.
    Got the truck and it was loud, when I asked them they told me they did and the engine is going to need some work to stop the loud tappets, NOT !
    (Lat time I had them do any work on my truck.

That was when I switched to synth oil - Mobile1, 5-20.
    I buy the specials of Mobile 1 and Motorcraft Filters at Auto Zone.
    You get 6 quarts of oil and two filters for $35.
    That gives me an oil/filter change and at 3000K or so, it gives me a filter change and oil top off.
    Been doing that for almost five years and I really think the engine spins over easier than when it had std Dino Oil in it.

Don’t let the Store tell you the 0-20 is the same thing it is not.

Now it I can only get some more power… the little 3.0L is lacking, sadly lacking of power.

16. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Well, if a FORD DEALERSHIP puts 5W-20 in it, that must be what it calls for.
    I mean, if the dealership doesn't know, then we're all in trouble!
    ...but as I've already stated, it seems to be causing some minor spotting and with the motor approaching 160K, I think a slightly heavier oil will be ok, so, 5w-30 it is.

Dean

17. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Just because you have a gasket or seal(s) that are bad doesn’t mean the engine will run better or worse with the wrong oil.
    It’s all in what inside of the engine.

Try the oil you want and see what happens, if all is good then who are we here at the site to tell you what to run.

If it was me I would try and locate where the spotting is coming from.
    Could be a bad gasket or seal but it also could be a loose or broken bolt, drain plug or just blow by piling up and dripping.

Luck to ya.

18. mattray

mattray New Member

I use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 and motorcraft filter.