O/D Kicking Off While Driving

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Sherry Lantrip, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sherry Lantrip

Sherry Lantrip New Member

About a week or so ago I noticed my O/D light started flashing while I was driving. I depressed the O/D and it did nothing! I had to pull over put it in park and turn the truck off. Cranked back up and it was ok. Well yesterday it did it again not once but twice. I repeated the actions I had made the first time this happened. It worked each time. Saw on you tube it may be the speed sensor switch. Please if anyone can help with a possible reason I’d greatly appreciate it. I did call dealership and they said they need to run diagnostic first to see what the issue is. If it is the speed sensor switch then paying $125. for diagnostic is senseless. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. PeteB

PeteB Member

It's been a long time and forgive me if I'm incorrect but, I think that truck has an electronic speedometer. If the speedo works and the cruise control works then I'm thinking the speed sensor is not the issue. You might try going to a local auto parts store and have them scan for codes. It's usually free and might give you a direction to look. Good luck.

Pete

4. OP
    Sherry Lantrip

Thank you for your help. I will take to advance auto hopefully their system can pick it up without the light flashing. If not dealership here I come.

5. PeteB

PeteB Member

Let us know how you make out.

6. OP
    Sherry Lantrip

7. OP
    Sherry Lantrip

Ok I took my truck in to dealership cause advance code not diagnose unless the light was flashing. Ford dealer put on machine went through it throughly. They couldn’t find anything wrong with the transmission or otherwise. I said I’ll just have to videotape the problem when it happens. They informed me nothing will happen to the transmission while driving like that. They said when it happens again just bring it by. I laughed cause the dealership is 25 minutes s of home and I’m always a half hr northwest of of home. So that means I’d be driving an hr and a half with the o/d off. They reassured me it won’t hurt my transmission just to bring it in and do not cut the motor off. Cause cuttin it off is what resets it. Anyway currently transmission got a clean bill of health. They did ask when was last time I had transmission serviced. I said haven’t since I bought it in 2010, I asked why he stated the fluid looked brand new. He said that’s good. Cool I said.

8. PeteB

PeteB Member

Good luck. Intermittent problems suck!