Not starting. Fuel Pump?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by jonrod90, Dec 2, 2009.

1. jonrod90

jonrod90 New Member

For the last few weeks 4.0 4x4 manual ranger was not starting on the first try. I would hear the starter crank, but not the fuel pump "buzz". Usually by the time I heard the fuel pump, it would fire up and run like a dream.

I went in for a smog test and after the test, it wouldn't start and the garage wanted $1200 for a new fuel pump.

I am curious to see if anyone has had this same issue and if it could be a faulty relay?

If it is the fuel pump, what is involved installing a new pump/filter and if its worth the $$$

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bill

Bill New Member

Yes, it could be a relay or other things for that matter. The tank needs to be dropped to gain access to the pump. $1200.00 is very pricey. I think that guy wants to be a lawyer.

4. TaddeoEG

TaddeoEG New Member

Just bought a 99 XLT 4x2. Seller said it was doing the same thing. He had the fuel pump replaced for $350 and no issues. Pump was a bit over $100 and the rest was labor.

BTW, you can more easily lift the bed rather than drop the fuel tank. That's how this guy said it was done and I've read that on other forums.

Good luck.