No Speedo / check engine light

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by James penrod, Jul 27, 2020.

1. James penrod

James penrod New Member

I recently picked up 1998 ranger, 2.5 RWD 5 speed, with a lot of miles on, 200K possible.
    the ABS light and check engine is staying on, no speedo action , got code 0500 VSS malfunction,
    replaced the sensor on top of diff. no improvement, checked all fuses all looked fine, any ideas as
    to cure for this issue. Cant get inspected with codes in system,cleared codes but came back on.
    Any help appreciated, thanks in advance

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    James penrod

James penrod New Member

got inspection done, but then light came back on same code vss not working. While checking dash light problem I see that instrument panel
    has been changed with salvage part, salvage part marking on case. Would it be possible that computer won't recognize the part and cause
    the trouble code?? Just a ''''''wild" guess on my part.

4. getbent

getbent New Member

I believe the instrument panel/gauge cluster was married to the computer starting in 2004.