New member with some header/exhaust ?'s

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by 94Reborn, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 94Reborn

94Reborn New Member

Hello all, this is my first post. I was a frequent visitor on the f150forum.net site, but have since sold my 150. I have a 94 Ranger project that was originally my father's. He handed it down to me, I eventually handed it down to my brother, and after he blew the motor and trashed the transmission, it ended up back with me. The truck started life as a 2.3L, 5 speed truck. I just purchased a used 4.0 ohv from a 93 explorer, a 5 speed from a 92 ranger, and am working on a swap. The truck has been sitting for about a year and a half. The old motor and trans are out and next week I hope to install the new setup.

Here's my first question. It's longwinded to get you all my info. I decided to run headers to bump power a bit, and also because the guy who pulled my replacement motor cut the y-piping an inch back from the manifold because he couldn't unbolt them. Rather than try to replace the Y pipe, I decided to get a set of Hedman 89400 standard length headers with a Y pipe. I sold all of the stock exhaust so all I have now is the headers and Y pipe. What should I run behind the Y? I was thinking about running a longer (18" or more) glasspack instead of a cat, and running that out to a flowmaster or similar muffler near the stock location and either running pipe all the way back or dumping it after the muffler. Will a glasspack work in place of a cat? I am hesitant to run pipe with no cat to only a muffler, due to noise and o2 sensor issues. I don't have emissions in FL, but I don't want a crazy noise or to run a less efficient exhaust. I can get a high flow cat, but a glasspack would be a cheaper option. I can have a glasspack for around 30, and a vibrant or magnaflow cat for around 75-100 range. I want a healthy sound but not real loud, and would rather have better power and torque over sound. Does anybody else have a 4.0 with headers out here? And any suggestions are welcomed.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Welcome to Ranger Forum. I recommend putting the Cat on so you arent throwing codes, and also to tone the noise down. I think with the cat, headers and glass pack you will get the noise you are looking for.

4. Yeah, glasspack won't work in place of a cat... The glasspack doesn't burn the crap away like a cat does. Your best bet, go to andysautosport.com or summitracing.com and order a high flow cat. Gets optimal flow while still meeting emission requirements.

Welcome to the forum!

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You wont have a problem with a "gutted" cat altho it's not recommended. The PO of my truck gutted my OE one so I left it like that instead of spending $200+ on a new cat. Im running the same headers/y-pipe as you're looking at and LOVE them. I'd plug the EGR tube that's built into them tho.

My setup after the cat is 3" single into a single in dual out Flowmaster Super44 straight out the back with 3.5" tips and it gives you that "throw you back in the seat" power you're looking for.

Welcome and good luck!

6. OP
    94Reborn

94Reborn New Member

I guess I'll be looking into getting a cat. I ordered the headers and Y two days ago, so I hope I like them too. I havent gotten them in yet. I plan on plugging the egr since the engine I bought doesnt have one on it, and I don't have that wiring either. I want to run a flowmaster after the cat, but I'm thinking about single in single out, since going single to double seems like it wouldnt be any more beneficial. Thanks for all the advice!

7. It gets a little more exhaust flow out there

8. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

It DEFINITELY benefits from backpressure changes

I would also look into a set of locking bolts for the headers. Save you a bunch of time retightening them eveyr 3 weeks.

9. OP
    94Reborn

94Reborn New Member

I've never heard of locking header bolts. I'll have to look into that.